Sunday, February 3, 2008

We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet

It seemed everyone had tender feelings at our church meetings today as we contemplated the amazing life of our beloved President Hinckley.

I was so blessed to meet him in person at my sister-in-law's wedding (she married a Wirthlin). She said he even made a wise-crack to her when he shook her hand. Photoguy was shooting as many pictures as he could to freeze frame the moment.

A few years later, Photoguy had the rare opportunity to have a one-on-one interview with President Hinckley. He and a reporter that is. After the meeting was over, Photoguy shook his hand and said, "I met you at my sister's wedding," to which the Prophet responded, "Oh yeah, you were the bald guy running around taking all the pictures." President Hinckley had such a way of making everyone feel important and of putting everyone at ease with his humor.

Photoguy also had the choice experience of covering the funeral yesterday and the procession that followed with families and children waving their white hankies and canes as the Prophet passed by.

I remember when he first became our prophet, all those years ago when I was just starting college. My testimony was like a new rosebud then. I remember the first General Conference he spoke to us as our Prophet. It was probably the first one I had really paid attention to in my life. I was charmed by his charisma and I felt the Spirit like I never had before when he said simply, "I feel inspired to tell you that the Lord loves you."

I don't really have words to describe my feelings for this outstanding individual who did so much for us and for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm just glad I got to live while he was our leader.

No comments: