Sunday, March 16, 2008

My Girls -- G and M&M

Last fall, I filled the role of "mom" to two extra girls "G" (far left) and "M&M" (left, next to "G"). They've been on my mind a lot, and I've decided to dedicate this post to them.

We met G and M&M when we moved to China, Fall 2006. Not by coincidence, they lived only a few buildings away. They were almost the only children our kids saw on a regular basis during the months we lived abroad.

Their father's work took them to France when G was very young, and that is where M&M was born. When M&M was one, they moved to Tianjin, China (again for their father's work). Their parents later divorced and said father died young of a heart-attack two years ago, but the girls and their mom remained in Tianjin, and so, we met.

I was broken-hearted about leaving the girls when we decided to move back home at the end of January 2007. It was particularly hard because their mom was in the states on a vacation that was extended because of a serious illness. I knew that those girls needed us.

I was pleased when, only a few months later, the girls and their mom moved to Oregon. I think being able to go to American schools is one of the best things that has happened to them.

In the Spring, they ended up at our house on a visit for a few days. All of the kids were delighted by this reunion.
Their mom also flew them out for a 3-week visit at the end of the summer. They spent the first 10-days with us and we were on the go doing every fun thing we could imagine every day. We even celebrated AiAi's second birthday with them. They went to their paternal-grandparents' home after that, but, when M&M developed the flu, no one in her large extended family (the grandparents are understandably old and in fragile health, but I couldn't understand about the myriad of aunts, uncles and adult cousins living nearby) wanted to care for a sick child. So, I ended up retrieving the girls, and cleaning up M&M's barf (a true act of love considering my feelings towards barf).

Several times, the girls would give me a hug, grasp my hand, or look me in the eye and say, "You feel like a mom to me." And, once M&M said, "If my mom passes away, I want you to be my mom." It makes me tear up even now just to think of it. A seven-year-old saying such a thing! Of course I would be their mom. In a heartbeat.

After the flu passed through all five children, we were off for more fun adventures and even a camping trip in Idaho (thanks mom and dad for helping me make that happen what with Photoguy working that weekend).

When the girls finally left to go home, my kids were devastated by the loss. Soph was all tears and E-Man was stoic until a few minutes after they left when he choked out, "My throat feels like crying," and dissolved into tears also.
Through a series of events, the girls were back with us a short time later. This time, for two months.

We got them mid-October, in time to celebrate M&M's 8th birthday. Let me just say a few words here about M&M. When she was only two, she was once left in the care of her father who left the room and came back to find a strange pile in the middle of the floor. Upon further inspection, he discovered it to be all of the keys from his laptop mixed with hair -- her hair, which she had cut off.

When, I picked the girls up at the airport in the summer, I took all three of my kids with me because, I didn't realize that I would have to take all of them through security (and take all of their shoes off), and wait in several long lines. Nor, did I realize that AiAi would jump right out of the baby backpack and climb up on the the luggage scales and do a monkey impersonation. All of this, just to go pick the girls up at their gate. I was exhausted by the time we retrieved their luggage at the baggage claim and after we had walked a very long way to the exit I turned and saw that M&M was lugging along a suitcase too. G and I had taken the only two bags that belonged to them. Where did this strange third suitcase come from? Trying to be helpful, she had just grabbed a bag (belonging to someone else of course) and dragged it all that way. Of course, I had to run it back before it was reported missing (or, more appropriately "stolen"), all the while with a baby on my back (struggling to get down) and one eye on four kids with strict orders to not move from their spot by the exit.

I drove the crew straight to the Dinosaur Park to get the day started off with an adventure, and before I had even checked in at the front desk, M&M, intrigued by a clock on the wall, had accidentally made the pendulum fall off.

While we were enjoying the nature center a few days later, the kids started throwing rocks into a picturesque lake. M&M decided to spin around with her eyes closed and then hurtled her stone right into E-Man's eye giving him quite the shiner. I think you can imagine the type of child I am talking about. Near and dear to your heart, but still . . .

So, it was no surprise on her birthday, while she helped me make the cake and I let her crack the eggs for the batter, instead of dropping one egg on the floor, or getting shells in the bowl, she knocked the whole container of the remaining eleven eggs onto the floor in the process. Truly, it was just hilarious, and I pretended to be mad in an overly dramatic way. But, now I wish I would have just burst into laughter, because for a brief moment I saw fear register on her little sweet face. I assured her right then and there that I loved her so much more than eggs, but still I wish I hadn't tried to be funny that way. Kids just don't get adult humor and irony.

Next, came Halloween.
One day we were driving around and "G" who was nearing her twelfth birthday inquired about trick-or-treating. "When would she be too old?" She wondered. "Well, I guess this might be your last year," I said. She seemed rather downhearted, and then, it occurred to me that this was the very first Halloween she would be able to trick-or-treat in all her memory if ever since she was so young when they moved overseas. "Well, probably at least one more year after this," I corrected myself.

I felt so privileged to take M&M and G on their first night of trick-or-treating. It was also kind of a first for my kids too. The true first for AiAi, and the first time Soph and E-Man could really "get it" since the last time they had been they were only 4 and almost 3 (we had missed a year of trick-or-treating the previous fall). We had such a great time with the kids getting SO excited for each new doorbell that I didn't realize hours of trick-or-treating equals enough candy to last through February until it was too late.
Next came E-Man's birthday, and a wonderful Thanksgiving at my mom's. We had so many adventures because I bribed the kids into sleeping through the night with an outing every week. Don't underestimate my need for sleep and the thought of being woken up multiple times each night by someone who is homesick or scared (it had been a problem in the past) for two months straight just didn't sit well with me. It's bad enough getting up with a two-year-old once in awhile (he's not old enough to "get" the bribe yet).

Somewhere along the line, I talked the neighborhood elementary school into enrolling the girls. I loved having them at home with me and we worked on reading and ABC's (with M&M) and times tables (with G). But, two months is a long time to be out of school, and all of the kids who came to my home were so much younger than G.

So, G got to do a school musical while she was here and we all had sloppy sundaes afterwards to celebrate. The girls got to do gymnastics with my kids, which G said had always been a dream of hers. The girls were even still around when the Christmas Lights and our town's elaborate Christmas Village went up in December. We had a lot of adventures indeed.

The emotions were a mixed bag when they left us once again. It was heartbreaking to see them go, yet good to get back to our normal lives. We look forward to the time when M&M and G will enter our home again.
The matching clothes were a gift from my mom for the kids to wear in the annual Primary singing performance at church. More on her love of shopping to come . . .

1 comment:

Eric said...

Hey, Chocolate - loved the post! Especially the airport story - what fun! : )