Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gifts

Sunday night was the annual pop's concert and fireworks show at Weber State University.

Tens of thousands of people come and literally cover every inch of grass at the university with their blankets. All surrounding parking lots, yards, etc. are also filled with spectators for this event.

As we prepared to attend, I explained to my kids that some people in our community (the Lindquist's) have a lot of money. So, one thing they decided to do with their money is to give everyone a gift -- this awesome fireworks show -- every year.

What a great gift.

A college friend of mine who I only see once per year or so, contacted me to see if we could attend the show together with our families. I was so excited to see her, and then she made me even more happy by calling me to say that her family is good friends with the Ligoris (who own Ligori's Pizza and Pasta) and we were all invited to his restaurant for basically Sunday dinner Ligori family style.

Mr. Ligori (who looks like Danny DeVito) filled the restaurant with guests and treated us all to a nice meal. Afterwards, the kids were invited out to the parking lot for carnival games and some pretty sweet prizes. Then, we set up our lawn chairs right there in the parking lot and had a front row view of the fireworks show.

What a great gift.

My friend took a picture of us right after there was a short downpour of rain while waiting for the fireworks to begin (another advantage of our set-up -- sending unhappy wet children to the van to wait out the storm) and posted it on her blog with the nicest tribute to the many beautiful women who have bestowed their friendship on her life.

Lately, I too have been thinking of the many, many amazing friends I have been blessed to have in my lifetime. Being with my friend Chris reminded me of all the fun we use to have in college. The way her laugh comes so easily. And, the way she makes everyone feel like they are special.

My life is abundantly blessed with amazing, beautiful women right now who help me grow spiritually in ways I never imagined possible. I missed my mom and my exercising buddies and Joy School mom friends and my priceless Neighbor Lady and the lunch group gals more than I can say when my family moved to China. How wonderful it was to come back home and bask in the rays of their friendship.

It is not possible to write this post without talking about the women I taught English in Russia with so many years ago. Just last week, we met up for a reunion. What is it? About 15 years now? (sheesh) I had no idea back when I was a freshly graduated from high school just starting college gal how much these ladies would truly impact my life. What amazing examples they have been in both the past and the present. That experience, and the friends I made while there, definitely shaped my life for the better. It was wonderful to see them again. Though one evening was way too short.

Some people go their entire lives with only one or two good friends. I feel so blessed to have had so many.

What a gift.

3 comments:

Nanette said...

You know what they say though, "like attracts like." You are a pretty fantastic gal yourself.

Malea said...

I'm coming to Ogden to hang with you this fall. I've already decided it. That evening was far too short, and I wasn't able to get in as much conversing with you as I wanted. If I came for a day sometime, would you be able to pick me up and drop me off from the airport if I reimbursed you for gas? I like your Ogden life and would love a closer peek if I could.

Janene said...

what fun memories, I think you guys have wonderful friends because you are so kind and good to everyone you meet.