Saturday, January 15, 2011

Free Yoga

Have I mentioned that I like yoga? I do. I can't explain how good I feel after a yoga workout. I love it when a practice feels really relaxing but then every muscle in my body is sore the next day. There have been so many times that I've entered a class with my mind racing and my shoulders tense and left feeling calmed down and clear headed.

I think it is great cross training for things like running. It helps me to feel balanced. It helps me to be sane and focused.

There is a yoga teacher I really like at my gym. When I'm lucky, I get to go to her Thursday or Saturday morning class. She's not a power yoga teacher - I'm not a fan of teachers who lead a yoga class like an aerobics session.

A new coffee shop called The Borrowed Earth Emporium (or The Bee) opened up downtown. They have a gorgeous yoga studio upstairs with antiquated hardwood floors facing a wall of windows with a great view. Every Saturday morning, they offer a free yoga class. The teacher, Steph, recently certified as an instructor and I think she is obligated to do a free community class or something. Whatever the reason, she is a fabulous instructor and very basic. Sometimes it's nice to just focus on the basic poses. I've even taken Sophie to this class a few times because, hello? It's free! And, there are usually only one or two other people in the class. Isn't that crazy?

Recently, I was browsing the internet to see what other yoga options there are in my area and I cannot believe what I found. There is a yoga studio in North Ogden (Yoga Jo's) and while they use to charge the standard $10-$12 per class, they now offer all of their classes completely FREE!!!

So, naturally, I was thinking, "What is the catch?" Maybe they are going to try to sell me something else? Or, pressure me into leaving a big fat tip? Or, join their pyramid scheme?

This morning, I was able to check it out for myself and not only was the teacher fantastic, but, there really were no strings attached. I have no idea how they are able to provide this. All I know is that it ROCKS.

Ogden IS awesome.

Why do I get to live in such a cool place?

2 comments:

Layne said...

I need to do this. It's been forever since I did yoga, and my flexibility is all shot to heck. Plus something tells me I need a time when I'm forced to shut up.

Janene said...

sounds awesome! did you know, I'm convinced that it was a 6 week yoga class that finally fixed my marathon running injury? I'm a believer!

And my friend that just ran a half said it was her best race ever, she feels largely because she replaced one of her runs each week with pilates.