Tuesday, April 5, 2011

CleanMed 2011

A few months ago, I started a new job assisting Patti who is an amazing meeting and events planner.  This week, she is doing one of her largest conferences -- CleanMed -- and I am here at the Downtown Phoenix Sheraton helping out.  It is completely baptism by fire.  The experience is really stretching me as a person.  Here is what I wrote last night just before I drifted off to sleep:

Phoenix Day 1

Appreciating:  Brian for taking amazing care of our kids.

Loving:  The awesome view from my room on the 31st floor.

Feeling Pampered:  By this plush robe and the spread of food in the Club Lounge.

Wishing:  I could spend 1 hour lying in the sun by the beautiful pool.

Nervous:  About having the energy to keep up with this non-stop week of work.  

Satisfied:  From the delicious dinner and therapeutic laughter I shared with a Patti tonight.

Excited: to jump in that fluffy King-size bed with four giant pillows.

Missing:  My babies. 

Trying to Get Use to:  Having all of this space and silence (and, not too use to it at the same time).

Today's post should be entitled:  Phoenix Day 2, (the guests begin to arrive for pre-conference functions and meetings):  "Stupid Things to Say When You Have No Idea What You Are Doing and Everyone Thinks You Are in Charge," or, "Saving Face After Starting the Day by Accidentally Brushing Off What You Later Discover to be One of the Board of Directors," or, "Dangerous Learning Curve Ahead."

(Do you know what it is like to be asked to "test the audio visual equipment" for a breakout session when you've never even seen half the stuff in the room before?  "Just go make sure it's all there and test it to see if it's working."  Ummmmmm . . . ).

Today was non-stop.  We hit the ground running at 6:30 a.m. (not "got up" at 6:30 - started working at 6:30).  And, we did not stop for anything until 7:30 p.m.  I felt pretty exhausted.  I really wanted the conference to play iPad or watch PBSkids for 30 minutes while I put my feet up this afternoon.  By 7:30, I felt a lot like I do at the end of a really hard day with the kids. 

But, then I discovered the difference.

At the end of a really hard day with the kids, 7:30 is just the beginning of the hardest part -- pushing through bedtime.  Instead of four sleepy kids, I had chamomile tea and answering the question - "Do you want to walk to a Thai restaurant or get room service?"  My days at home never end like that.  

The best part of the night was talking to all four of my kids on the phone and hearing Isaac say, "Mommy how much do you love me?  Because I love you infinity, infinity, infinity, infinity . . ."  

Both kinds of days are really rewarding.

Time to get some sleep before tomorrow.  Phoenix Day 3:  The 600 Attendees Arrive (and, they also think I know what I'm doing).  

No comments: