Friday, October 26, 2012

Summer 2012

A post I started mid-August which I will now finish . . .

I regret that I haven't taken the time to write individual posts about all the fun things we have been doing this summer.  One long post summing it up will have to do since we are practically on the eve of a new school year.

June brought outings, swimming, summer reading programs at our local library and the track club for Ian and Isaac.  Sophie started a 6-week drama camp which turned out to be one of the highlights of the summer (they performed Peter Pan in July and it was fantastic!).  Then came the 3-weeks of camping trips.  It started with a mom and me Girl Scout Camp with our troop at the gorgeous Trefoil Ranch.


 We got to go horseback riding - which was pretty cool.
 I LOVE THIS GIRL!
And, of course we spent lots of time in the arts and crafts room (here we are making rag dolls).

It was a fun three days in the mountains spending some quality one on one time with Sophie.  Here is a funny story -- We had to be careful not to take any food into our tents because of the critters, but I forgot that I had an unopened pack of gum in the side pocket of my backpack.  In the opening meeting, they told us not to even have gum in the tents.  That is when I remembered.  But, by the time I got back to my tent (it had been about an hour), something had already crawled into the pocket and chewed the gum into itty bitty pieces! 

The very next week, we took the whole family up to our friends' gorgeous cabin on the water's edge at Bear Lake.  This is one of our favorite summer traditions that we have been enjoying for about nine years now.

I just realized that all of the good pictures from this trip are on Brian's computer.  But, here is one with a funny story.  When I asked the kids what treats they wanted me to buy for the trip, Sophie and Ian both said, "Starbursts to roast over the fire."  You see a couple of years ago, the kids ran out of marshmallows and started roasting Starbursts instead.  I almost denied their request, passing it off as silly, but then humored them by buying a pack of Starbursts to take along.  On the first night we were there, all of the kids (from the other families) pulled out Starbursts to roast over the fire.  And, then I realized - they have created their own tradition.  Awwwww.

I had just one day to wash all of the laundry, re-stock the groceries and re-pack the van before our third camping trip in three weeks -- the annual Nicholson family reunion at Moosehorn Lake in the Uintahs.

We had such a wonderful time, canoeing on the lake, sleeping under the stars in our tent, playing a wild game of wiffle ball and making a mean chuck wagon breakfast in the mountains on the 4th of July. 

 Sophie and Grandma Nicholson show off their matching Moosehorn t-shirts

Isaac poses by the beautiful lake
Isaac and Katie
 And in between all of our camping trips and outings, there was plenty of this going on . . .

It was the summer of putting in the yard.  Here is a photo of our back patio -- or, what was left of it after Brian jack hammered it to pieces.  It was a really nice patio and I was sad to see it go, but Brian had a vision for a lovely patio coming off the back sliding glass doors of our family room (north of where the old patio was) and it was just too complicated to bring together the new and the old.  They landscaping deserves a post all of its own.  For now, I will just say -- it was the summer of putting in they yard (oh boy!).

In August, we headed back to Bear Lake for a huge extended family reunion on my side.  My mom and her three siblings take turns hosting a reunion every other year, which means this was my mom's once every eight years turn to be in charge.

Katie and I flew to Indiana two years ago to attend the last one which was hosted by my mom's brother, and, boy was it one BIG party!  I think the reunions (they started about 10 years ago) get better and better each time, so the pressure was on for something really spectacular.

I am happy to say, my mom pulled it off with amazing style.

She and my dad rented a gorgeous cabin near Bear Lake, and packed about one ton of food as well as every possible thing we could have ever needed (beach toys, sunscreen, an elaborate first aid kit - there was no scenario left to chance) and we spent a long weekend enjoying delicious food, great company, the fabulous beach and gorgeous water. 

It was wonderful to see aunts and uncles that I only see every four or so years (I can usually only make it to every other reunion since two of the four require flying).  And, I am always grateful for time with my beloved Pappa (that is southern-speak for Grandpa, he's from Kentucky you see). 

Then, it was back home for a missionary farewell.  Brian's parents are off to the Philippines for two years to serve a temple mission.  We sure do miss them, but they are having a wonderful adventure. 

To top off the summer, Isaac turned seven in the middle of August.  And, then, the kids went back to school a week and a half later.  Isaac is seeming more grown up all the time.  He sure has grown up (literally in height) a lot in the past few months.  And, he is transitioning to first grade beautifully (I was a little worried. 

There was never any question about his academics.  He is at the top of his class in every subject.  That boy is so smart!  That's probably the problem.  Haha.  No one warned me how tricky it is to raise such intelligent kids.  But, seriously, he loves to play and he loves to do things on his own terms.  So, I was a little worried about how sitting at a desk all day would sit with him.  So far -- it's fabulous (oh, this is the October 26 me writing now). 

I guess that wraps up our summer.  I wish I had documented all the details.  But, this will have to do.  Summer of 2012 was a fantastic time and so far Fall of 2012 is even better . . .

 









1 comment:

Jewels said...

I can't believe you could fit that all into one summer. You are amazing and it looks like you all had a lot of fun.