Monday, November 12, 2012

This Makes Me Smile

A few months ago, I posted about my fears associated with running a full time child care from my home.  Today, I want to say that, even though it has its ups and downs like any job, it's mostly been great.

There are lots of things that make it that way -- getting to still be with Katie all day is at the top of the list.  My decision to become licensed was a good one despite the many hoops to jump through. 

I've been taking lots of child development classes at Weber State University since May.  They have a lot of good ideas and help me have a clearer focus and feel more of a sense of purpose in what I am doing.

Here is a story that makes me happy.

I started watching one of my babies when he was just 2-weeks old.  That is the youngest baby I've ever spent so much time with (other than my own).  When he was about 3 months old, I asked my mom to come to my house and help me one afternoon.  It was Katie's 3rd Birthday and I wanted her to hold the baby while I got some things done for her party.

My mom held him, but she said, "I think he wants you."  I said, "No way, he is too young to express a preference for me over you."  But, it soon became clear that he was only happy if she was holding him where he could see me.  That is the way my own babies were -- knowing who I was and wanting me over someone else even at a young age.  But, that was the first time I realized that someone else's baby felt that way about me.  It really touched me.

Now that baby is  8 1/2 months old and still as sweet as can be!  I began watching another baby when school started.  She will be 1 next month.  I love watching them crawl around like little partners in crime.  They always keep me in their sights.  Again I was reminded of the bond we have when, the other day, one of the other kids needed a bandaid.  I walked down the hall quickly to grab one and both babies came speed crawling right behind me.  

I feel very blessed to get to watch kids who are so sweet.  They make me smile.

No comments: