Saturday, February 23, 2013
Spring Is On Its Way
One positive thing that I have to say about missing a month of my life (post-surgery) is that it was the month of January. If you ever need to miss a month of your life -- this is one I highly recommend. And, since I have spent most of February easing back into normal activities, it has made the bleakest part of winter go rather fast. And, now spring is just around the corner!
Although it doesn't look like it, since there has been a blizzard going on outside since I woke up this morning.
I do like snowstorms though. They are magical and calming. I'm not sure if huge icicles are a bad sign about your home's insulation, but either way, I love the charming, slender sticks of ice hanging from my roof, decorating the views from my picture windows. I think that observing this beautiful winter from the warmth of my home has been fantastic and therapeutic. And, I am not sad at all that I missed all those days in January when the high was (something like) nine degrees and the air quality was terrible.
I am so grateful and happy that I had this surgery and I know once all wounds are healed it will be a real blessing in my life. I had a complication (seroma if you want to know) that caused me healing grief. I think I could go to work as a nurse now that I have overcome the terror of repeatedly packing a deep, gaping wound that was the result of this complication. Sorry. Was that TMI?
The past two weeks have been a checklist of getting back to my normal routine. I am pretty much there -- except for going to the gym. On Thursday, I was told that adding weight bearing exercises back to my routine would be beneficial. I was surprised because I am still feeling so much pain in the evenings that I haven't wanted to do anything other than what has to be done (sweeping the floor and lifting little kids in and out of carseats for example). But, on Friday, as I was carrying a baby in my arms in the afternoon and bending over to pick things up while holding said baby (and, feeling every muscle in my sore abdomen as I did it), I was thinking that I have already added weight bearing exercises back into my life.
Right?
Next Saturday we are planning a trip to Carbon County for Ian's county report. We welcome any suggestions anyone may have about fun things to do while we are there. I bet there is more fun to be had in Carbon County than first meets the eye. When we visited Millard County two years ago for Sophie's report, we made all kinds of memories digging for trilobites and learning about Fillmore being the state's first capitol. Ian is excited to explore mines, 9-mile canyon and a dinosaur museum on our upcoming trip.
Sophie turns 12 next week. We went to the New Beginnings activity to welcome her into Young Women's last week and I was so impressed with the beautiful Laurels in our ward who got up to speak about the Young Women values. I am happy that she has these wonderful role models in her life. She is at Weber State with Brian today attending an Engineering conference.
Ian has braces. He is suppose to get them off in July after a 10-month treatment that is meant to partially correct his overbite (until he can get the full braces and overbite correction in about 4 more years). So far, he says he is still biting the roof of his mouth with his bottom teeth, so that's not good. But the huge gap between his front teeth recently closed, so I have to believe we are making progress.
We got about 8-inches of snow by the time the storm moved out in the late afternoon. Now it is night and everything is covered in a fresh blanket of white.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment