Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Changing Seasons

It was a winter with a little bit of everything.  There were snowstorms that dumped and turned the landscape into something magical.  Our house had the most charming icicles for months.  We even had an ice-storm that transformed every surface into an ice-skating rink for a day.  I could have done without the nasty January inversion and the freezing cold temperatures -- but, I think we can count on that happening every winter for the foreseeable future.  We truly had it all this winter.  Now, it is spring's turn.

Today, I took a walk through the neighborhood with Katie and Isaac.  I sat on the huge rock in the corner of our yard in capris and short sleeves and watched them while they played.  Last summer, when I sat on that rock, I thought about all the ways I could make the space more enchanted.  Perhaps planting some ground cover and putting down jeweled stepping stones, I thought.  But, today, as I sat there, I realized it is probably perfect just the way it is -- an enormous flat rock near a giant pine tree at the edge of our front yard.  The kids love to play there and they always ask me to come to the rock with them.

A week and a half ago, when we arrived home from Carbon County, I searched my phone for the  weather report.  "It looks like all of the snow will melt this week," I announced.  "Impossible!" was Isaac's response.  There was still a foot covering most of our yard.  More in some places. 

But, the weather warmed up and most of the snow has indeed melted away.  Today, it reached 60-degrees.  The sunshine feels wonderful at the end of another winter.

The big news today is that the 6th grade went skiing at Snowbasin.  It was Sophie's first time hitting the slopes.  She was nervous.  I was excited for her.  Brian joined her and they both told me all about it when they got home.  I have tried to talk Sophie into trying skiing for a few years.  She was positively against it.  Not wishing to drag her kicking and screaming, I waited.  Today she finally tried it and she loved it.  I am so happy she did.  Brian said she picked it up quickly.

Now, my wish is to put Ian and Sophie in ski school next year. 

1 comment:

Janene said...

she looks great! Go Sophie!