Friday, July 4, 2014

Red and White Pancakes

I love the 4th of July.

On this holiday in the past, I woke the kids up early to dress them in their red, white and blue clothes.  Then I headed over to the neighborhood kids parade with decorated bikes, scooters, or me just pulling them along in the wagon.

After we made one sweep around the block, there was a good old-fashioned flag raising ceremony followed by juice and donuts.

After that, we did different things on the 4th of July. But, I've almost always made some sort of red, white and blue food to go with one of our meals.

Last night, I panicked a little because I didn't have a special, patriotic meal planned. Then, I realized strawberries and whipped cream ought to do the trick.

My family eats a lot of pancakes.  We eat them for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner.  We make homemade pancakes and we have rotated through multiple favorite recipes over the years.  Since I don't eat wheat, I don't usually join them in the eating part.  I have made wheat-free pancakes for myself before - but, not for a really long time.

I decided to grab some wheat-free flour when I picked up the strawberries and whipped cream, and, boy am I glad I did!

Last night, we met friends in Bountiful for a lovely backyard BBQ and a fireworks show.  It was so much fun.  This morning, we slept in nice and late and then the kids woke up to hot pancakes and I had my wheat-free pancakes too.  I think I had forgotten how good pancakes can taste.  Mine were like strawberry shortcake melting in my mouth.

After that, we hustled out the door to Lagoon so we could get there right when they opened.  I wanted to take the kids to Laguna Beach on this hot, hot, hot 4th of July.  At the last minute, Brian decided not to work on the holiday after all and joined us.  He and Ian went on rides while I took the other kids for a swim.

Isaac, Katie and I made laps around the lazy river on tubes.  The don't make lazy rivers like they use to. Now, every pool has a "lazy river" -- a small circle to the side of the pool with jets to help you go round and round as you tiptoe or float along.  This lazy river is huge by comparison.  You lay on your tube and float through caves, past waterfalls and by a volcano spewing water out the top (Katie pretended it was lava). I wish the rapids and other cool features worked like they did when I was a kid.  But, Katie and Isaac were in heaven.

I watched their eyes light up and their huge smiles.  They were so excited.  Everything was perfect in that moment and I couldn't stop thinking about how much I love my kids.  And, what a miracle it is to love someone so much your heart could burst.  That huge love is there just because they exist.

It was so relaxing and nice.  I wish every 90+ degree day could start out with red and white pancakes and a nice dip in a lazy river.  Happy Birthday America!  Thanks for a day off to be with my favorite people, soaking them up and breathing them in completely.

No comments: