At the end of March, I realized something about my third child with one of those wake up in the middle of the night "aha" moments. But, not the good kind. It was an understanding that there is more going on with him than we originally thought (autism) and when the picture came into focus for me I realized that I know too much about this to have not somehow seen it coming. Did I see it coming? When did I first see it coming? I still don't know. I wrote a post all about it, but it is so deeply personal that I don't feel ready to share.
Instead I will just say that this piece of sad news brought me to tears every day for a few weeks as I tried to adjust and reach a place of acceptance. I'm not crying now while I am typing this, so that's good, right?
It was during this difficult time that Brian broke the news to me. About a week before my birthday he revealed that -- He was taking me on a surprise trip to San Francisco!
I could not believe it! Who does that? He had everything planned, airline tickets bought, a hotel reserved right by Fisherman's Wharf. It seemed like he had told everyone I know before he told me.
He had wanted to tell me on the night of my actual birthday and then sweep me away on our flight the next day. Luckily, after seventeen years of marriage, he knows me well enough to think better of that plan. For one thing, it took the whole week to coordinate with both of our parents the care of our children while we were gone (four soccer games in five days. FOUR.). For another, there were three appointments that needed to be rescheduled because they fell during our trip. Also, I guess I am high maintenance because I had to go through every article of clothing and every pair of shoes I own to figure out what I would wear on the trip (and do a little shopping to fill in the gaps). Finally, as every adult knows, when you go on vacation you have to work double time before and after to get all of your work completed because no magic fairy shows up to do it for you while you are gone. For all of these reasons -- I am so glad he told me exactly when he did. But, there is one more: I LOVE the anticipation of things like this almost as much as the trip itself.
So, there you go. A surprise birthday trip that came as close to being swept away last minute as my complicated life and personality will allow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment