I have been wanting to blog for quite some time and now I have a lot of things to say. Sophie started school the Wednesday following Isaac's Monday night birthday extravaganza. A few days later, she and my mom took off on an airplane to Disneyland. While she was gone, the other three started school and life has been one wild and crazy ride ever since.
I am so proud of Sophie for working this summer. I think for the most part, she enjoyed it. It's rough to keep working the weekends now that school has started. Because that is true and so many kids quit at the end of the summer, Lagoon offers a nice bonus to those who finish out the season, so she is doing her best to hang in there until the end of October.
Sophie has not been a natural saver. She loves to spend money the minute it hits her hand. At the beginning of the summer, I encouraged her to save her paychecks for something big. So, she did. She saved every penny until it added up to $900 and then she invited my mom to go with her to Disneyland. Of course my mom was delighted. They are both Disney diehards through and through. They wanted to go before the Diamond celebration was over (it ended on Labor Day). Sophie went to the first three days of school (August 17-19) and then they went to 4-consecutive-days at the park. Sophie insisted that they arrive at opening (8 or 9 a.m.) every day and stay until the park closed (except on the 4th day when they left to catch an evening flight) and my mom DID IT! It's a good thing it was her . . . I don't think I could have had that much stamina. They had a wonderful time and I'm so happy for them.
At the beginning of summer break, my kids made a list of all the things they wanted to do and we DID THEM ALL. We checked many of them off the list several times. Except for two things that remained: Curiosity Museum and Bear Lake. On the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, we got a text from our friends inviting them to join them at a Bear Lake cabin that day. We had to be super spontaneous because 1) we got the text at 10 a.m. 2) we had church at 12:30 p.m. and every person in the family needed to take a shower 3) plus, I couldn't talk to Brian about any planning because 10 a.m. is also when he started preparing his lesson for the day and, 4) we had to make do with whatever groceries and clean clothes we already had in the house since there was no time to shop or do laundry.
We arrived home from church at 3:30 and Brian had to go straight to a Raptor's game to take photos while I started packing suitcases and stuffing sleeping bags and camp chairs into the van like a mad lady. Somehow, we made it up to the cabin, also known as paradise, that evening with only one glitch -- that we left Ian's suitcase at home. Funny! It wasn't a big deal since we were just staying over one night.
Monday was absolute perfection. The high was only 63-degrees, but it felt surprisingly warm. The lake was gorgeous. We canoed and paddle boarded and Katie and Isaac built a sand city for hours. When our friends said that they had the cabin for the whole week, but didn't intend to use it because of school and work, I couldn't stop myself from staying one extra night with Katie and Isaac while everyone else packed up and went home Monday night.
It was so amazingly peaceful being up there just the three of us. We laid out under the millions of stars together. It was about the most perfect moment in my entire life. I was soaking in every second. Tuesday we laid on a blanket in the grass of the huge yard and played in the water and the sand and swung on the rope swing that hangs from a tree. I was so nostalgic. It was like my whole beautiful life was flashing before my eyes. I drove home Tuesday night with a fierce determination that we needed a little more Bear Lake. We did not leave without a stop at the Chocolate Bear candy shop for chocolate dipped raspberries and a stop at La Beau's for shakes, rootbeer floats and hamburgers.
Our friends were not able to get back up to the cabin until late Saturday night and graciously said we could keep using it while it was unoccupied. On Thursday after school I gathered Ian, Isaac and Katie and we made the gorgeous drive back up Logan Canyon to the lake. This time I was much better prepared with all the clothes and food we would need. But, it was also fun to be spontaneous. Sophie couldn't miss any more school and Brian had work commitments until 9 p.m. on Friday, so they joined us late Friday night.
We had another magical time. Friday was clear and windy. I think the wind stirring up the water made it so you could see it's mystical aquamarine color even better than usual from the shore. It always looks that way when you can get out on the water in a boat. We enjoyed the beautiful view and spent time outdoors, but we also gave ourselves permission to watch four movies. FOUR movies in one day. We were in peak relaxation mode.
When I was preparing to return to the lake, I wanted Ian to skip school Friday and come with us, but I was also worried that he would get bored, because he is a very active teenager and I wasn't sure there would be enough things to entertain him at this point in his life (unlike Katie and Isaac who spend the entire day building sand city and it makes them the happiest kids on the planet). He assured me that he would not be bored and he said, "I like going to Bear Lake because it is the only place I can go to just completely chill." That is exactly the way I feel. At home, I can try to relax and meditate or watch a movie or whatever, but my mind is constantly going. At Bear Lake, there is not one care in the world or one worry in my mind at all. I can sit and stare at the lake or the sky full of stars endlessly and I am content.
Katie and Isaac caught a snake that they played with all day. We also watched a frog swim through the water and, of course, we stayed up late to stare at the stars.
The whole family was there Saturday. The weather was good. I actually got in the lake and went for a swim with all of the kids. The water was freezing! But, it wasn't so bad because I went numb after about 5 seconds. So, we played around in the water for a half hour or so thinking it wasn't that bad. Then, all of the sudden we realized we were super cold and we ran back to the cabin on our numb feet for a warm shower.
Poor Brian was probably working on photos on his computer all day and poor Sophie has had so much homework ever since school started (she spent the better part of the Monday and Saturday that she had at the lake finishing projects for school). But, the rest of us had some pure relaxation. And, even Brian got to take in the BYU vs. U of U game on the big screen Saturday night before he and Sophie headed home. The other kids and I enjoyed one last night, more raspberry shakes, burgers and s'mores over a fire that Ian started in about 2-minutes (amazing!) before driving home Sunday.
Oh--Bear Lake how I LOVE YOU!!! I am so spoiled by this cabin we have been going to for 13-years that I can't imagine how I will ever find another place that compares. We have been so blessed that our friends have given us this gift of inviting us year after year.
Now Bear Lake is checked off the list and I told the kids not to worry. We will make it to the Curiosity Museum before the weather gets too cold to enjoy the outdoor exhibits.
I love that all four of my kids, even my teenagers still want to spend time with me and do dorky things with me like going to kid museums. I LOVE it!
Going to the lake was a wonderful way to begin to wind down the summer. We came back to a busy week and I thought it was busy because I had the carpets cleaned and we were trying to get back on top of things after taking time off. But, now this week is just as busy because it's already parent teacher conference time and Brian and I are neck deep in making the final preparations for the 3rd annual Ram Run 5K to raise money for Ian's junior high. This is our busy life for now so I'm embracing it.
More highlights.
I am absolutely in love with homeschooling Katie and she is having a great time going to school one day a week for core classes and 1/2 day a week for dance, art and animal encounters (where they get to learn about creepy crawly things close up -- today she told me she held a giant lizard!).
Today for math we worked on Roman numerals, which was perfect because we just read about the ancient Roman empire and how some parts of their culture still exist today. She was translating Roman numerals into regular numbers and I remembered learning how to do that myself and how I thought it was so cool -- like a code -- when I was her age. Math is her favorite subject. Except we both really love the history lessons too. I read to her while she colors pictures that have to do with what I am reading to her. It is a win for both of us.
Like every second grader she is eager to learn cursive and always trying to write everything in cursive. I know that in regular school they really discourage the kids from using cursive until 3rd grade. I'm going to ask our education specialist about it at our monthly meeting tomorrow because I think she would be crazy about doing a cursive handwriting unit.
Isaac had a difficult adjustment this year. He and his best friend have been in the same class every year except this one. I am really happy with his teacher. But, he is disappointed to be in a different class from his friend. Disappointed is an understatement. To say that he staged a sit-in and demanded that I sue the school for not putting them in the same class is more accurate. But, we've worked through it and so far (for the most part) so good!
Ian joined the cross country team and has been running every day after school. Today, he competed in his 3rd meet. I am so proud of him for jumping in and doing that! He is enjoying being in two band classes. He plays bass guitar in one and drums in the other. He just got assigned a solo on the drum set and he is stoked. He and Isaac also started fall soccer.
Ian and Katie are taking piano. Isaac tried piano over the summer, but it was not his thing. Sophie started piano over the summer too. I am so proud of her for embracing it! She took piano in Kindergarten, first grade and part of second grade but then soundly rejected it and she has maintained for all these years that she would never return to playing piano or any musical instrument. But, she is doing really well in voice lessons and finally concluded that piano lessons would help her take singing to the next level. She has been doing awesome! But, now she has to quit . . . because . . .
Big surprise! She is going to be in a Christmas production at a local community theater. Two years ago, we went to the theater to see an original production of "Fairly Potter" a musical parody of "Harry Potter" that included new lyrics to more than a dozen favorite broadway tunes. We loved it!
One year ago, the same theater produced "A Fairly Potter Christmas Carol," a clever musical combining the classic Christmas tale with Harry Potter characters and heart warming music. Sophie tried out for the play but didn't make it in. She ushered for a half dozen performances so she could watch it over and over for free.
Ever since we saw the first production two years ago, she has been dreaming about being in a "Fairly Potter" production. So we were both ecstatic to get the news on Saturday that she is in the ensemble. Hooray!!! I am so happy for her. This theater really draws talented casts so I am very humbled that she would get this opportunity at 15-years-old.
This daughter of mine has had quite the transition this year, being in 10th grade. The homework load is unbelievable! She has one AP class (AP European History) and I was trying to warn her that it would include a lot of homework. What I wasn't expecting is that all of her other classes would include a fair amount of homework too. It has really added up! She comes home from school and starts on her homework and doesn't finish (granted she takes some breaks but still--) until 10 p.m. or sometimes later. Then, she is back up at 5:30 a.m. for early morning seminary. Oh my. This is my first experience as a mom seeing this happen first hand even though I've heard other parents talk about it. I hope it starts to even out soon. It has to because now she will have a demanding rehearsal and performance schedule. Piano lessons are the casualty. We will see if they come back around.
Katie has been taking gymnastics and I think she is doing well for a seven-year-old. She does beautiful cartwheels, one handed cartwheels, round-offs and she can stand on her head forever. She is strong and has great balance, but she told me today that she wants to stop taking them for now. I think she would continue to improve so it's kind of hard to take her out, but it is also FINE WITH ME to have one less thing to drive to and pay for every week. Whew! I cannot believe the way it adds up with four kids. Just getting them to and from their four different schools every day is quite enough to wear me out and it is only the beginning.
Last Saturday, Sophie worked at Lagoon and she wanted me to give her a ride home so she could come home (faster than waiting for the shuttle and riding front runner home) and get ready for Homecoming. Once again, she is on the committee to plan and host the dances so she gets to enjoy them even though she isn't technically old enough to date. Katie and I arrived a few hours before her shift ended. She is now brave enough to ride the wooden roller coaster and the wild mouse and she loves them! It is so fun because she giggles the whole time. When we got home, Sophie showered and got ready for the dance, then my dad came over to stay with Katie and Isaac and I took Sophie and Ian to a PG-13 movie they have been wanting to see -- Suicide Squad. It was pretty good and fun to spend an evening out with my teenagers.
Katie's school has fun field trip opportunities on Fridays and our first one this year was a trip to the Natural History Museum by the U of U. How have I never been to this museum before? It is amazing. Even the architecture of the building is impressive. It is almost so amazing that I felt too overwhelmed. But, I am excited to go back and experience even more of what it has to offer, with my other kids too. I guess we will add that to the list along with the Curiosity Museum. I sure do love our adventures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment