A couple of weeks ago, two of my nephews, Z-Man and Gentle-B, came to spend a couple of nights with us. Photoguy and I were in for a real treat getting to know these two better.
Z-Man is four and an expert on trains. He picked up a toy train and exclaimed, "Wow! It even has traction rods!" He explained many facts about trains to me including how fast different kinds of trains can travel. I asked, "How fast can you travel?" You know, to see what kind of train he is. He replied seriously, "Well, I can only go about three miles per hour." Surprisingly accurate and cute response. My kids have been obsessed with different things from time to time, but I have to say, Z-Man's fascination with trains goes beyond anything I've ever seen. And, it's so stinkin' cute! Makes me want to buy him every train I see for how excited he gets.
One day, while the other kids were at school, I took my nephews to the Treehouse Museum. Right inside the front doors, there are three train tables. Beyond that, there is an old-fashioned schoolhouse, farmer's market, pretend vegetable garden, working cash register, physician's lab, life-size firetruck, giant fish tank, two-story "tree", castle, art garden, ship, music room, and a host of other amazing exhibits. It was really fun to take someone new there and realize just how much there really is to do. Through the whole tour, Z-Man's question was the same, "When can we go back to the trains?"
Gentle-B is two, and, I have to say, he is about the most easy-going-all-around-barrels-of-fun two-year-old I've ever met. Every time I looked at him, he was flashing me a toothy grin. And, he's a great cuddler! What more could you want I ask!?
His love, rather than trains, is cars. Luckily, with two sons of my own, we have quite the assortment. The only times he got upset were when he realized it was bedtime and he wasn't going home. Letting him choose a car to snuggle with (hard plastic, how comforting) proved to work well. I also made sure to put him to bed with a sippy cup of water (a tip from his mom). But, one night, I guess he couldn't find his cup and I was awakened at 2:30 a.m. by his sweet little voice singing out, "Drink please." Gee, my kids are hardly ever that polite even in the daylight hours. What a nice change from waking up to the usual blood curdling screams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good grief! Why is this making me get teary-eyed. :o)
Wow! I loved the report on their staying with you! They are certainly adorable - you've captured their personalities well.
Post a Comment