Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Ergo



The replacement strap for my Ergo baby carrier arrived, and I am loving it!


This is the one piece of baby gear I don't know how I ever lived without when my first two were little.

When Sophie and Ian got a little bit older, I could often be found cooking dinner, doing the dishes, or hiking the trails with one of them in my baby backpack. But, they have to be about six-months-old before they go in there. When they were tiny, I tried every front pack carrier I could get my hands on. I didn't like the strain they put on my shoulders. Even the sling that many others raved about was uncomfortable to me. I never did try a "wrap" though I've heard good things about those.

I discovered the Ergo right before Isaac was born. And, I absolutely love it because it snuggles my babies right up close to me and puts all of the weight on my hips like the baby backpack does. It grows right along with your child so that, when they are older, you can use it to carry them on your back or even on your hip. I have to admit that I've never mastered the art of using the Ergo on my back or my hip. Once Isaac reached six-months, I just switched back to the backpack because it is what I knew. But, my sister-in-law still uses her Ergo from time to time to carry her three-and-a-half-year-old around on her back or her hip.

It's so wonderful to carry your infant and be hands free! Katie is sleeping against my chest in the Ergo as I type this. And, I just threw a load of laundry into the washer and prepared a potluck dish for a family get together later this afternoon. Yesterday, I used it at the grocery store and at the arts festival (very useful when I had to use my free hands to carry an over-tired, over-hungry Isaac out to the car at the end). Half a dozen people stopped me to inquire about my nifty carrier. I don't mean to turn into such an infomercial when people admire it. But, I love my Ergo!

What piece of baby gear can you not live without?

2 comments:

Nanette said...

I'll hve to check into one of those for the next child.

Janene said...

I've always thought my Bjorn was the best, but you're right about the shoulder/back strain of it. I should check this out -- my big ol' hips should be used for SOMEthing! :o)