Monday, June 1, 2009

Simple Pleasures

This morning, Katie's cord fell off, and you know what that means -- her first bath.

It was so fun to see her submerged in her little tub while the other three giggled at her tiny body. I can never get enough of this soft pink baby skin.

Miss Katie is such a good baby (knock on wood). So far, she only gets up once per night. And, when she does, I feel grateful to be rocking my sweet little newborn. I think motherhood gets better and better with time. I'm so blessed to have such a good natured baby.

She is a fantastic eater. Once she gets going, we tend to spend an hour or two before she is satisfied. She'll eat, and doze, and wake up five minutes later wailing and looking at me like, "Geez woman what do I have to do to get a little food around here?"

The kids had their last day of school on Thursday. I can tell that they are still young, because the last day of school was sad for them (they will miss their teachers) instead of the joyful event I remember from my youth. To jazz things up, Brian set up the tent in the backyard and they had a camp out for two nights in a row! He's such a fun dad. I got to camp inside in my big comfy bed with Miss Katie Jane. During the day, the kids and I all lounged in the tent enjoying the cool spring weather and I thought about what a nice little green spot my backyard really is. I'm going to miss our giant cottonwood tree when it finally has to come down. In the mornings, I made pancakes for everyone. And, by the way, I just discovered the best pancake recipe ever.

I can't believe that it was only one week ago today that I was still in the hospital with this beautiful new baby. She's so tiny. And, yet, I can't believe that this whole perfect little person was inside of me! Phew! No wonder my belly was so huge! Now, I'm loving sleeping on my back, and any which way I choose without feeling like someone is stabbing me in the ribs. Ahhh . . . sweet sleep. Ahhh . . . being comfortable again. I'm loving wearing non-maternity clothes again. I'm loving that I'm suddenly Isaac's favorite parent again. He's been daddy's boy for a long time, which was also fun. But, I'll take his fabulous hugs anytime I can get them (even if it's while I'm nursing Katie). I love the way a new baby slows things down. The way I'm suppose to soak in the tub and put my feet up -- Doctor's orders!!! And, the housework and the errands can all wait for just a minute while we welcome this new person into our lives.

Pancakes
1 1/2 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt

sift dry ingredients, then add:

3 tbsp. melted butter mixed with
1 egg

stir together, and slowly add while stirring:

1 1/4 cups vanilla soy milk

I had to also mix it with a mixer because it was kind of lumpy. I'm telling you, they are delish!!

P.S. I never want to forget that Sophie and Ian brought me breakfast in bed my first morning home from the hospital.

2 comments:

Malea said...

You make me want to me a better mom:) I think I asked my children way too many times (in my "outside voice") today if they were tired of destroying my house. Your blog was a good breather.

Tiffany said...

The way you appreciate and accentuate the goodness of life is such an inspiration. I was reading my journal of my last post-partum feelings and it was all "I'm aching here," "I'm so exhausted," and "I can't get anything done"s. With this birth I'm going to see it the way you are-- all roses and hugs and precious moments. Your family is so lucky to have you!