Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Best Part

Conversation while lying next to Isaac trying to get him to go to sleep last night:

Me:  Isaac, what was your favorite part about today?
Him:  Right now.



Am I the only one who feels a tinge of strangeness during conference weekend while trying to watch with small kids?  Normally, I should not be ignoring my kids to stare at the T.V., but on this weekend, I really need to get them to quiet down so I can stare at the T.V. for eight hours in two days time.  

Yesterday, when the morning session began, I must have asked my kids twelve times (in a calm voice) to quiet down so I could listen.  And, that was all before the second speaker.  Sister Beck was about halfway through her talk when I had a little meltdown, turned to my kids and, in a raised voice, said, 

"I'm. Trying. To Listen. To. Conference! Be. Quiet. NOW!"  

I don't raise my voice at my children a lot.   

They were stunned to silence and turned their attention to their conference bingo and their ears to the speaker in hopes of crossing off more squares (to claim some big prize in primary next week).  Right at that exact moment, the next words out of Sister Beck's mouth were about the duty of mothers to bring the spirit into the home and to not lose their tempers with their children.  

In a very surreal moment Sophie and Ian turned their attention away from their bingo cards and shot me simultaneous sideways glances.

I don't think I'm going to hear the end of this one for quite some time.

  

6 comments:

Malea said...

Well, at least Isaac knows whats up and who rocks his world, for now. Whenever I have "those moments" with my kids like you had with Sophie and Ian, I just hope that they are memorable enough for them to bond a little bit more, and give them something to giggle about with each other in the future. BTW, I am still anxiously awaiting Sister Becks talk. My kids were too loud, I was geeting a headache, so I just turned it off. There yah go.

Layne said...

Ha! Yesterday we were asking OUR kids--in progressively louder voices--to be quiet, and finally the humor and frustration of it was so much that John shouted "WE'RE TRYING TO BE SPIRITUAL!" We all had a good laugh about it.

Unknown said...

I think that is definitely a common experience for all us parents. Darn it. Unfortunately, I raise my voice a lot. So it was a good reminder for me to respond in another way.

chris w said...

I have a feeling that scenario happened in a majority of the households watching conference this weekend. ;)

That is my favorite time of day too. :) Sweet boy.

Christina said...

Seriously.
Saturday, Karl took the kids to some ranch place that I didn't want to go to. I was home alone and it was SO DIFFERENT. I heard EVERYTHING. It was awesome.

Sunday, I was with the kids and heard nothing. Could barely even stay awake. Too much going on.

I totally get your point. She did give a great talk, didn't she?

Janene said...

you know... I did similar things that day. Hubby was gone ALL day, had been gone, it felt like, ALL week (I'm sure that has never happened to you! :o) I remember the moment that day when I snapped at my kids and then paused and thought... Did I not just hear 30 minutes ago to not do that? Good thing a large portion of the talks were about making the Atonement a consistent part of our daily lives.