Saturday, April 9, 2011

Home Again, Home Again

The weather in Phoenix was sunny, in the 70s and perfect.

As soon as the plane left the ground, I fell asleep in my seat. I was in and out (mostly out) for the one hour flight. I suddenly felt tired down to my bones.

A friend made a remark about how the conference was like our event planning days in college and joked about how we aren't as young as we use to be. I may not be as young as I use to be, but, I'm also pretty sure I never worked (quite) that intensely without any breaks in college.

(we are even better than we were in college, right?)

We touched down in a snowstorm. The passenger next to me was from Arizona. He took pictures of the white fluffy flakes through the window as we taxied. "I didn't even bring a coat," he said. "I hope you'll be inside a lot," I said back. Apparently, today is the 3rd day in a row that it has snowed all day. I had thought about planting flowers with the kids today for their spring break (haha). This morning, I thought we should change that plan to a day of sledding. But, the snow was so wet and just kept coming down.

It turned out to be a better day for staying indoors. Last night, I slept like a rock for 10-hours (and felt like I could have slept for 2 more if I didn't have these four kids who want to play with me).

Brian surprised me by taking portraits of the kids while I was gone and framing them and hanging them on the wall. I love them SO MUCH! It is one of the best surprises ever. I would have obsessed for so long about what the kids should wear and scheduling haircuts and all of that - another 6-months would have passed before the pictures were taken. Thank you Photo Guy!

It feels so good to be home. I'm enjoying my kids even more than before I left. They look way too grown up in their portraits (my babies!). But, Katie is soft and snuggly, Isaac still pronounces certain words like a pre-schooler, Sophie is as silly as ever, and Ian wore his sparkly blue cape with the letter "I" embroidered on the back all day -- so I felt better that they aren't completely grown up after all.
(note: sparkle cape)

After Brian completed his 19-mile training run and shot some assignments and the kids and I had spent a lazy morning together, I headed out in search of something for the kids to do today.

Brian had suggested going to a movie, but, the kids insisted that they wanted to see "Despicable Me." I figured it would cost less money to buy Despicable Me and watch it at home than go to the theater so I headed to Costco. I didn't find the movie I was looking for, but, I did find "Tangled" and "Ice Age, Dawn of the Dinosaurs," and a bunch of other stuff too. By the time I checked out, it was $143!

(so much for saving money)

When I returned home, Brian and the kids were putting together Marble Mania Mega.
It's a contraption that Ian got for a Birthday a few years ago. It definitely needs to be assembled by an adult. The last time, it took 4-hours to put it together, so, when I put it away, I was doubtful if we would ever put it together again. Today turned out to be the perfect day. I feel so much joy watching Brian and the kids spend time together.(little engineer)

Now, we have a really cool machine that transports marbles in the most magical of ways on our table. We just finished huge bowls of popcorn and Tangled. It is nice to be back home indeed.

2 comments:

Nanette said...

I always feel like a better mom when I've had some time away. Isn't it funny how that works? I am sure they missed you SO much!

Janene said...

I am telling you .. you married one of the most thoughtful guys EVER.