Happy Valentine's Day! One of my favorite holidays. I relish celebrating this holiday of love.
In years past, the kids and I have made pink-frosted heart-shaped sugar cookies. It seems like I'm too busy at Christmas to make sugar cookies, so this is the perfect time of year. I love making special meals with heart themes to show the "sweethearts" in my life how much I love them.
This year, Valentine's Day came at the end of two of the busiest weeks I have had in a very long time. In addition to the flood of writing, there were parent-teacher conferences and book fairs to volunteer at and organize at two different schools. And, I needed to plan the Valentine's Day party for my son's second grade class because I am the room mom. And, the night before Valentine's Day was the first night of juggling class. It has been a very busy two weeks and I was feeling tired both physically and creatively. So, as I sat with another mom/friend Thursday night at juggling class, I lamented that I had nothing special planned for this special holiday.
Friday came and went. I wrapped up my writing, and we had a fun class party for Isaac. I somehow got all the kids out the door with bags full of Valentines to pass out to their classmates. Brian took me out for a lightning fast meal after the babysitting kids went home and before he had to leave for his evening photo assignments. I picked up fast food for the kids for dinner and we watched the Olympics. Because, watching the Olympics is fun. It was a nice day, but our traditions were missing.
Saturday morning, I woke up renewed. It felt good to put that long two weeks of work behind me and look forward to a long weekend of fun. I decided it wasn't too late to celebrate the ones I love. I started with these heart shaped waffles:
Next, I got to use the tickets I bought several months ago to take my mom to see "Les Miserables" at the Hale Centre Theatre. It was breathtaking. It exceeded my expectations from start to finish. I loved it so much! Every cast member nailed their part. The music was so, so beautiful. I can't find enough words to say how much I loved the production and how much I loved getting to spend the day with my mom.
That was a matinee, so when we got back to Ogden, my mom sweetly took Katie to her house for a sleepover so Brian and I could take the three older kids out for an evening with friends and their kids.
First, we had a delicious dinner at a restaurant our friends just discovered (and introduced us to) -- Smokin' Bones. I'm not even a huge fan of BBQ, but the food was so good. And, Isaac got to eat a hot dog deep fried in a scone. Seriously, what is not to love about that?
Then, we headed to Salt Lake to watch the hilarious melodrama "Bandito Rides Again." It was one of those melodrama parodies where they make fun of melodramas and pop-culture and other things. Everyone laughed their heads off. Even Isaac liked it (and, he is not a child who is easily pleased).
So, I had a change of heart between Thursday night and Saturday morning and we celebrated. One day late, but we celebrated. I love this family of mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment