Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Marathon of Words

I was going to write about how crazy this past week has been.

Last Monday night, I got a call from the newspaper asking if I could do three (what turned out to be five) extra stories for the Home and Garden insert coming out later this month.  Of course, I said "yes," and then spent the next eight days asking, "Why do I do this to myself?"

I scrambled to get my three regular stories for the week written and turned in.  On Thursday, the marathon began.  For two days I felt mental exhaustion set in as I worked simultaneously on what felt like five different research papers at once. And, it was the week of the book fair and parent-teacher conferences at the junior high (of course, I said "yes" to helping organize the book fair).

I just added it up.  I have interviewed twenty-five different people since last Tuesday.  No wonder I feel a little loopy.  I have ten more interviews to go and four more stories to write by the end of Friday.

But, right now, I am taking a pause to write about how crazy this all is instead.

I was going to write about how crazy this past week has been and try to answer the question, "Why do I do this to myself?"  But, now that the five extra stories are complete, I feel the way I always do at the end.  I feel like I have learned so many cool things about taking care of cement and kitchen remodeling and what the hottest trends for landscaping are right now.

I guess that is the weird part about my job that keeps me going.  I love getting to talk to interesting people and learn new things.

After giving it my all on Thursday and Friday, I woke up Saturday with a stomach bug.  How is it possible that right when a person has so much to do, that person gets sick?  I tried really hard to give myself permission to take a sick day.

Breathe in, breathe out.

On Sunday, I woke up at 6 a.m. in a panic because, while taking my sick day, I completely spaced out the fact that we were hosting Brian's family for dinner that night.  It was ward conference and I had meetings that morning, followed by church, followed by the dinner.  The house was not looking too great after I took a sick day.  I devised a plan.  I would be in charge of making the food if Brian would be in charge of cleaning up.  He agreed.

Then, I had to practice not being the expert at cleaning the house.  Have you ever noticed that when you are the expert at something, you get to do that thing all the time?  You have to let go of being the one in charge to get other people to participate.  On Sunday, I realized that I have been a bit of a control freak when it comes to cleaning the house.  So, congratulations to me, because I kept my mouth shut about how I thought things should be done.  Mostly.  It was hard. (Not as hard as doing everything myself).

Breathe in, breathe out.

But, in the end, dozens of cousins and aunts and uncles showed up with their wonderful meal contributions and we were all happy and none of it mattered anymore.  All that mattered was being together for Sunday dinner.  And, that was nice.

Yesterday and today, I had to wake up to the reality of how much work was still left to be done -- on the stories I mean.  If I woke up really early and started working until the babysitting kids showed up at 11 a.m. and worked again after they went home all evening until long after I would have liked to go to bed, it would be O.K.  It reminded me of finals week in college, when you are trying to cram so much in before a deadline.  Except, now there were all these other people depending on me for food and attention while I was working in the evenings.

It reminded me of having a new baby and not being able to find time to shower.

Breathe in, breathe out. 

This morning, my e-mail crashed while I was trying to receive photos from ten different sources for the stories.  They all started calling to say their e-mails were bouncing back to them.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Brian fixed it.  We survived all of it so far.  Every now and then, I get a startled feeling that Valentine's Day is just a few days away.  The kids need to go Valentine shopping, and I am in charge of Isaac's room party.  This week is parent-teacher conference and the book fair at the elementary school (of course I said "yes" to volunteering for a shift tomorrow night).

I am really looking forward to the weekend.  Right now, it is back to my marathon of words, because I refuse to let this spill beyond Friday (even though my technical deadline for the next four stories is 8 a.m. next Tuesday).  I can't wait to just cuddle those kids of mine and have all day Monday (President's Day) to do whatever we want! 

No comments: