Monday, December 29, 2014

Closing Day

Today we signed the closing papers and sold our house on 25th Street -- almost exactly 15-years after we bought it.  What a perfect place for us to start our family and meet so many amazing friends.  We could have never predicted the way the story would go.  We thought we would flip it within a year or two.  I'm glad it worked out this way instead.

Right after we closed, our friends called and invited us to spend New Year's Eve with them at their cabin.  So . . . it was pretty much the best day ever.

In other news -- we have finally resolved the bedroom situation with Sophie.  

Three years ago, when we first moved into this house, we made a plan to someday finish two bedrooms downstairs.  One for the boys and one for Sophie.  Now, it turns out we will finish three bedrooms downstairs so the boys can each have their own.  But, I digress.

When this plan was first presented to Sophie, she fought it tooth and nail.  We assured her that as she got older, she would appreciate having her own room and the added coolness factor of being downstairs.  She was sure she would not.  In desperation, Brian promised her any bedroom she wanted.  After he agreed to install hardwood floors and paint the walls whatever color she chose, she agreed that she would someday move downstairs. 

Three years have passed and she is chomping at the bit to get her own room and be downstairs -- no bribery needed.  But, the promise still stands.  And, it has stirred up so much drama in our lives.

She insisted that Brian paint all four walls in bold neon stripes, six different colors, with white stripes between each color.  Brian, bless him, tried all sorts of compromises, but she would not budge on this point.  She had other demands, like a custom bed.  And, the desire for hardwood floors stood firm.  

Back and forth and back and forth we have gone on the paint issue until Brian had an idea.  He told her to pick a bedspread and we would work out a paint color from there.  After a painful meander through a few hundred bedspreads on the internet (she hated all of them), we found the ONE.  It has bold neon stripes of color separated by white stripes.  When I agreed to buy this bedspread, she said, "You can paint the room any color you want.  I don't care."  

Just. Like. That.

There were some complications to work out for the hardwood floor.  But, Brian ordered the materials today.

I'm still not sure about the bed.  Does anyone have a loft bed they are not using?  

I am so relieved that everything is falling into place.  I have a feeling 2015 is going to be our luckiest year yet and the beginning of the luckiest times of our lives.  

2 comments:

Jewels said...

I am so happy that you were able to sell that cute house of yours. And teenagers, they are just so fun all the time that I could squeeze their little brains out. Just kidding.

Janene said...

I was nervous for you as the year wound down, so glad everything worked out!