Tomorrow, Brian runs his second Boston Marathon. We had so much fun traveling to Boston together the last time he ran. But, this time, it was not meant to be.
For about a year, I have been saying, "We should take the two older kids and fly to Boston when you go." He did not agree with that plan.
When we first started looking at flights a few months ago, they were less than $250 roundtrip. We didn't book anything because plans were up in the air about this job in Spokane.
A few weeks ago, we finally decided to book a flight and tickets had gone up to $450. I couldn't join him this time because we didn't know who to ask to keep the kids for us. I thought it would be easier to leave our kids to go on trips once they were older. But, I actually think it is harder because they have so many places they need to be all the time. I feel worse asking someone to drive my kids here, there and everywhere all day than I did about asking them to care for a sweet 2-year-old in their own home.
When we saw the price of tickets, we briefly considered taking everyone and driving to Boston. I think we would have done it, except for the fact that we would only have two days to get home once the marathon was over (so Brian could get back to Spokane). That is an insane amount of driving to do in two days . . . much less with four kids.
Brian is having a fantastic time doing Boston solo this time. When he called me tonight he said, "I think the kids would really enjoy it here. Especially the older ones."
That is the exact idea I was trying to sell for the past year. At least we are finally on the same page about it.
All we have to do now is get Brian qualified for a third Boston Marathon and make tons and tons of money so we can make our east coast road trip dreams come true next time around. Okay? Okay.
Good luck running 26.2 in the morning!

No comments:
Post a Comment