Last night we picked up Sophie's first pair of glasses. This is the third year in a row she has made me take her to the eye doctor (hoping she could get glasses). The first two times, her vision was fine. This time it was 20/40. Hip, hip, hooray! Glasses for Sophie.
I figured this day would most likely come. Brian and I and both of our parents have all needed glasses (plus all of the siblings in my family and many siblings and cousins in Brian's family). Now that she has them, I hope she will like them.
Yesterday, I pulled out an old scrapbook covering 1999-2001 so I could look at pictures of a dear childhood friend taken during a trip we took to Lagoon together. I found out last week that she and her daughter (who is just a little 4-year-old full of smiles in the pictures from that trip) both passed away.
It has been difficult news. This friend and I met on our first day of preschool and shared so many memories over the years including being in each other's wedding parties.
I opened the book and saw Brian and I looking skinny on our honeymoon. Somewhere in the middle of the book were the pictures of Kristen and me. Then it was on to the birth of my first baby. I could see in every photo that she was the absolute center of our universe -- that beautiful baby girl. My first daughter. My parents' first grandchild. In every picture of her with my mom, my mom is grinning from ear to ear. I suppose someday I will know that happiness, which my mom swears is even better than when my own kids were born (I cannot imagine!).
Now that baby of mine is taller than me and wears braces and glasses.
It has been such a good life and continues to be wonderful.
Now, I stand at a crossroads choosing between two good things. The job I have taken as an executive assistant keeps morphing and changing and it might mean that I have to choose between the job or homeschooling in the fall. It is already apparent that it will impede my ability to run my full-time daycare.
It is an exciting job that I enjoy. And, it pays well. I have been living a dream homeschooling these past few months. It will be hard to give it up if that is what it comes to. But, I can't very well yank my kids out of school and then work five hours a day when I should be teaching them.
For now, I will wait and see what happens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about your good friend and her daughter. Sad news indeed. I hope the decisions you have to make come with ease and that everything works out great.
Thank you Julie!
Post a Comment