Monday, June 15, 2015

California 2015

We have the kind of van that begs to be taken on a road trip. Finally, we drove that lovely vehicle with all of its cargo space, leg room and plush seats the way it was meant to be driven.

Our adventure began on a Friday in June. The plan was to drive halfway to Anaheim. At the last minute, Brian was hired for a freelance photo assignment in Salt Lake. We decided to make it part of our adventure.

After we had done all of the important things like pack the van, take out the trash and paint all of the girls' fingernails Disney-style:
We drove to Salt Lake. Brian headed to his photo assignment while the kids and I did some exploring. First, we walked all around the outside of the conference center and admired its waterfall. Then, we walked through the manicured gardens at Temple Square. We found ourselves in the beautiful City Creek Center. And, ended up at Discovery Gateway Children's Museum.

I love that even though Sophie and Ian are grown-up (14 and 12), they still had a great time at this place. They even figured out how to play a Taylor Swift song on the bells. Pretty cool!

Around 1 p.m., we met back up with Brian and forged ahead to eat lunch at J.C.W's in Lehi. Yummy burgers and fries!

That evening we checked into the Lexington in St. George where we enjoyed swimming in their indoor/outdoor pool and this view of palm trees framed by a rainbow:
It was a beautiful start to our road trip. In the morning, after a hot breakfast, we returned to the van to finish the drive to Anaheim where we checked into a Castle Hotel across the street from Disneyland.

After we got settled in the room, we grabbed our pails and shovels and headed to Newport Beach. I love spending time at the ocean. It was a gorgeous evening that turned freezing cold for little ones covered in salt water. 

We wrapped everyone in towels and found a Ruby's Diner for dinner. Normally, we love their milkshakes, but this time it was hot cocoas all around to warm us up.

Sunday, we attended church in the morning and headed back to Newport Beach for more fun. Brian and Ian played frisbee. We built a giant sandcastle. Sophie and I walked out into the enormous waves and let them crash over our heads for a long time. It was a beautiful beach day. (Brian has all of my beach photos on his computer at the moment)

After we had showered and prepared for an early bedtime, my parents checked into the room on one side of us and my brother and his family checked into the room on the other side of us. 

So began a week of extravagance. Five-day-hoppers to Disneyland. Life doesn't get much more lavish than that.

My favorite part of vacation is being with my family. Fun uninterrupted. I loved turning off all the alarms in my phone, put there to keep me on task throughout each day, and setting my planner aside. I didn't even bring my laptop. It was a true vacation from worries and work.

Monday morning we visited Disney California Adventure first so we could get fast passes to the Car's ride and tickets to World of Color. We hit all of our favorite DCA rides while we were there like Screamin', Tower of Terror, Soarin', Toy Story, Monsters Inc. and The Little Mermaid.

Monday was our one hot day at the park. We were so lucky to have cloud cover and highs in the 70s for the rest of the week. Monday hit 90-degrees. I took Katie and Isaac back to the hotel room to rest during the hot part of the day. I loved it so much when they snuggled up with me, one on each side, and we all fell asleep. I know it wasn't Disneyland, but it was pretty much the best.

This was also the best:
Look at Brian! He totally got into it.

These moments when I spied him taking such good care of our kids and enjoying his time with them made my heart so happy.

Sophie is not a fan of big rides, so this was her first time riding Screamin' and Tower of Terror. I am so proud of her for being brave.

Monday night, I returned to the park and met the group to watch the new World of Color. It was spectacular! I loved hearing stories about Walt Disney and enjoying the colorful fountains. There were some unbelievable balls of fire mixed into the show. It was really special to be there during the 60-year-celebration (diamond anniversary) events.

Tuesday, we found our groove, which was this -- wake up early and get to the park right when it opens, enjoy the rides before the lines get long, go back to the hotel to rest in the afternoon when the park is packed, return in the evening for more rides and to watch the shows. 

Everyone saw the new light parade on Main Street Tuesday night. Unfortunately, Katie and I got so caught up in riding rides, we didn't go back to the hotel for a rest until dinnertime and then she was too tired to go back.

However, on Wednesday night, when the rest of our group decided to go to bed early, Sophie, my dad and I went back to the park to see the parade followed by the fireworks show. It was amazing! I was in disbelief at the incredible floats they have created out of lights. It was like nothing I have ever seen before. 

The fireworks show was also out of this world. The buildings on main street were transformed into a bustling beehive, a coral reef, and then we were immersed in a blizzard while thousands of voices in the packed crowd sang "Let it Go!"

So . . . Tuesday, I rode the rides Katie wanted to ride. The Finding Nemo submarine, It's a Small World, Snow White, Pinnochio and the Storybook boats. We also got on Star Tours (I was the rebel spy!) and rode the train all the way around the park. Katie did not care much for the Haunted Mansion. But, Winnie the Pooh was one of her favorites. 

We also got to see the afternoon Main Street musical parade with the Disney characters.

Wednesday began at DCA again. I took Sophie and Katie to a Frozen sing along that was absolutely beautiful. After that, they met Olaf. And, after that, they met Elsa and Anna.
It was kind of a frozen themed day.

Katie and Princess Anna gaze into Snow White's wishing well.

Wednesday was extra exciting because the girls (my daughters, niece, sister-in-law and mom) had a reservation for lunch at Ariel's Grotto. 

I love everything about this luxurious experience. The dining room is gorgeous, the food is delicious and beautiful princesses come to your table to sign autograph books and pose for pictures. I feel truly spoiled there.
 Meeting Ariel
Beef medalions 
Catch of the day 
 Elegant desserts

I think Katie's expression on this final picture is so funny. Doesn't that somehow say "Disneyland" to you? A princess crown and a scowl -- from all the decadence and revelry until it overwhelms the little ones.

I think the Pinnocio ride's message is ironic in a way.

She was actually giving me that look because I was encouraging her to eat her vegetables.

Wednesday was a lot of fun with the princess lunch as the highlight. That was the night I was wowed by the evening parade and fireworks. 

Thursday we had the option to take advantage of magic morning -- the chance to enter the park an hour before it officially opens. Disneyland was open 8 a.m. to midnight every day we were there and we arrived pretty close to 8 a.m. each morning. Although 7 a.m. is ambitious, on Thursday we decided to go for it and left our hotel rooms at 6:40 a.m. to be at the gate in time for the countdown.

One group raced to Tomorrowland and another group raced to the Matterhorn -- only to discover there was already a 45-minute wait -- what? We re-grouped in Tomorrowland where we were able to walk right on to Space Mountain, Star Tours and the Nemo submarines. 

Sophie wanted to ride the monorail (one of her favorites). We used a Disney secret she found on-line to score seats in the front of the train with the conductor. It was really cool! Brian's mom made Sophie the darling Minnie skirt she is wearing in this picture.
Around 10 a.m., my girls and I went to Toon Town and it was empty! We had the whole place to ourselves. We rode the roller coaster, explored Donald's boat and Goofy's playland, and met characters without any wait at all.

The day before, we had visited Toon Town in the afternoon when it was crowded and it took us 45-minutes to meet Mickey.

It was worth it.

Isaac and my niece Anna were chosen to complete Jedi training. They were grinning ear to ear when they got their certificates at the end.
Katie and Isaac were funny. They kept wanting to go back to the hotel to swim in the afternoons. I think they enjoyed it almost as much as the parks. This little one learned to swim on this trip:
The whole group rode Splash Mountain on Thursday. It was Katie's first time and she LOVED it! I was glad. When we took Sophie and Ian when they were 5 and 3 it terrified them so much that for years the mere mention of Splash Mountain brought them to tears. It was perplexing. The whole family likes the ride now.

We ate lunch at the Hungry Bear, a cafe near Splash Mountain that serves fried green tomato sandwiches and the most scrumptious lemon cupcakes with an edible bee on top:
Three Disneyland trips ago, when my mom took the kids and me, I got spoiled on eating Disneyland's food. It turns out, it's not really that expensive (other than the fact that eating out anywhere with six is expensive) and it is really tasty!

Meals are not unreasonable, but treats and drinks are expensive. One of the best secrets I have learned is that Disneyland will give you as many free ice waters as you want. Drinking ice water all week saved lots of money and was more healthy too. 

There was still plenty of sugar to go around.

In Tomorrowland, we indulged in some fabulous Mickey mousse. And, then there was ice cream:



This last photo also says "Disneyland" to me. The crown, the Frozen dress, that glazed over look and a crazy ice-cream on a stick dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with every conceivable topping.

Friday came so quickly! I couldn't believe how fast the time flew by. We got to the park early and did all of our favorite rides again.
It's a Small World -- one of my mom's favorite rides.

Brian and Sophie snuck off for a father/daughter lunch at a Mexican restaurant. My dad explored Tarzan's treehouse with Katie and Isaac. Katie got to ride Splash Mountain again with Brian and her brothers. We hopped between parks so everyone could ride Screamin' and Soarin' again. Isaac requested tomato soup for dinner (a new food he likes introduced to him on this trip by Brian), so we got it at the Jolly Holiday Cafe.

That night we watched Fantasmic and ate kettle corn. Right when that show ended, we made it over to Main Street in time to enjoy the unbelievable fireworks again. Spotlights lit up the sky in diamond shapes. The castle glowed in different colors in the distance. Tinkerbell and Nemo flew across the sky. And, of course, there were the special effects on Main Street. Oh yes, and a top notch fireworks show to boot. 

When the show first began, my dad lifted Isaac up so he could have a better view. After a few minutes, I found a spot for him that would work without anyone having to hold him up. Can you believe my dad? Isaac is nearly 10-years-old. I felt so lucky that my son has a grandpa who would do that for him.

Sophie stayed at the park more than anyone. She loved every minute. She and my mom stayed at the park until it closed at midnight on Friday. It turned out the lines were really short again between 11 p.m. and 12 a.m.

It was sad when it was over. But, happy to have all of the memories. 

Saturday morning, we slept in and played lazily in the pool. Then, we got dressed and headed to Hollywood.

Hollywood took longer than we thought (L.A. traffic), so our beach time was cut short. We still had some lovely moments at Manhatten Beach before we headed back to the hotel where Katie and Isaac swam until bedtime. Brian, my dad, Sophie and Ian had tickets to an Angels game. They won!

Sunday--we packed up and drove all the way home. 

Our bathroom seemed so big after 10-days with a tiny hotel bathroom, where everyone had to shower and change clothes.

It was a beautiful vacation. 

Now, back to real life.

No comments: