Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Friday: Goin' to Boston!

So . . . the time finally came for us to pack our bags and head to Boston. As if making all of the arrangements for the kids, lining up our travel, packing and getting ahead on all of our freelance work before taking a few days off weren’t enough, we got caught up in making an offer on a house. So, on Thursday afternoon, we were reviewing a counter-offer. And, after I had tucked the kids in bed at my mom’s in preparation for an early morning departure, we stayed up most of the night writing up our counter to the counter offer. Photoguy worked a shift at the newspaper until 1 a.m. too.

We shut off the alarm at 4 a.m. and overslept by 45 minutes. Thankfully, we aroused ourselves just in time to throw things into suitcases, drop off the newly re-written offer, and book-it to the airport – leaving our house just 20 minutes after we woke up.

When we got to the airport, I felt that familiar excitement about travel. “I love airports,” I said to Photoguy. He looked at me perplexed and asked about all the security checks and lines and running to your gate. “Not all of that,” I said. “I love airports because they mean you are going somewhere.”

We had a layover in Baltimore and took the chance to be bumped. That meant we got $850 in voucher credits (practically rendering our $900 round-trip tickets free). We were suppose to have to wait about 6 extra hours, but, as luck would have it, we got on the very next flight one hour later!

We picked up the rental car and drove to Hopkinton, Mass., the home of the starting line for the Boston Marathon in it’s 112th year. We enjoyed the quaint little town of antique shops, cozy cafes and colonial style buildings.
We also immediately fell in love with all of Massachusetts for its rocky, colorful, and tree-dense landscape, the adorable New England homes and the old architecture. We got a very awesome vibe from this state and its friendly people.

After a nice meal in a historic Italian restaurant – Brian had lasagna and I ate a bowl of the most delicious fish chowder I’ve ever tasted – to take advantage of a night out without the kids, we headed to the home of some friends, Paul and Cathryn and their two beautiful children, Samantha, 2, and Anna, 9 months.

No comments: