Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Tale of Two Babies

AiAi and his friend Izzy are just weeks apart in age. AiAi was actually given his nickname by Izzy.

I started babysitting Izzy (and her two older sisters) once or twice per week when these babies were just a few months old. As they've grown up together, they seem more like siblings than friends.
In true brother and sister form, they have been known to scratch (and draw blood) and hit (drawing tears and shrieks) on occasion. And, at least once per encounter they can be heard shouting "mine" as they steal toys from each other.
But, it's completely obvious that they've got each others' back. Like the way one of them will immediately divide a piece of cheese when given the first slice. Or, the way I've watched them pass a piece of pizza back and forth or take turns biting from a single cookie. They have even been caught helping each other put on shoes. One cannot stand for the other to go without or be in need. I love the way they look out for each other.
Seeing them play together is pure joy. Their little games of hide and seek with Izzy counting in baby jibberish while AiAi crouches a few feet away right out in the open thinking he's stealthily hidden. When the counting is over, they both go running and squealing through the house. I've found these partners in crime dancing on the kitchen table or twirling simultaneously in the shower curtains. They love to climb all over the couches in a follow the leader fashion like they are navigating some sort of obstacle course. Or, throw all of the cushions on the floor and jump on them like leaping frogs on lily pads. The other day, I found them in the hallway trying to stand on their heads together. And, a few days after that, I was pushing them in the double baby jogger while they passed a toy baton back and forth imitating each other, alternating between pretending it was a microphone, gun, sword, pointer and, finally just something fun to throw on the ground and watch me pick up. I love their interactions and imaginations!
I once took them shopping when they were under one-year-old. Someone asked me if they were twins. "No, just friends," I said. "I thought they were twins because they have the same--" here, I thought the gal was going to say, "same blue eyes," because they both have beautiful blues, but, instead she finished the sentence with, "--crazy hair." As much as I am in love with AiAi's crazy blond curls, I must concede that Izzy takes the prize for craziest hair with her gorgeous mane extending halfway down her back. I love these two babies.

2 comments:

Nick@Nite said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick@Nite said...

What a well written and descriptive post. I loved reading that. The photos weren't bad either, adding to the story beautifully. Nice work, and great post.