Sunday, November 16, 2008

What Sort of Mammal?

When we broke the news to our kids last week about the upcoming arrival, E-Man looked at me and exclaimed, "What!? There is a baby in your tummy right now!? But, you don't even look fat at all." Wow. Thanks E-Man.

A few minutes later, he became concerned. "Mom, how is that baby going to get out of your tummy?" I told him that there is a special opening where the baby will come out when it's time. He thought about that for a minute and said seriously, "I want to see that, when the baby comes out."

I assured him that he could see the baby and hold him/her soon after. But, he insisted, "No mom, I want to see it when it comes out. I want to be there to see it come out." It was cute, because he obviously had no idea what he was saying. Rest assured, he will not see the baby when it comes out.

The next day at breakfast, E-Man sat thinking, then asked, "Mom, if you only have one heart, how does the baby get a heart?" What followed was a thoughtful discussion about cell division and DNA, but deep down inside I was thinking that all of my babies have definitely taken a piece of my heart outside of me when they came into the world.

We've always found out if we are having a boy or a girl as soon as we could and I never thought I would be one of those people who wants to be surprised. But, since we already have a girl and boys and we're pretty much prepared either way, and, maybe because this might be our last baby, I felt like it would be kind of fun to be surprised. I told this to Photoguy back when we decided to have a baby, and he was fine with that. Now, he is adamant that he is finding out what we are having whether I do or not. My Doctor does an ultrasound at every visit, so it would be pretty tough to keep it a secret the whole time. I guess we'll be finding out after all.

AiAi keeps telling me it's a "girl baby," his "sister" in there. I'm not sure if he has some kind of insider info on this or not.

He's also pretty sure it is a baby giraffe.

7 comments:

apron girls said...

What the HECK?? Congratulations on being pregnant!! How far along are you?? That's just great. How fun.

Christina said...

So, is this your announcement? Yahoo! More cute (and amazingly inquisitive) kids in this world The heart part was so sweet and true.

jeppsenfam said...

Congratulations Amy and clan. I LOVED Obama vs. McCain. Need to add my children's view of the election too. Hilarious!

Janene said...

congrats again! I really should have jumped up and hugged you when you announced, that's what I felt like doing. :o)

Michelle said...

YAY!!!! So happy for you!

Kyle said...

You have the sweetest, cutest kids, and you are such a wonderful, devoted mommy. I'm so excited for you with a new bundle coming, and so glad you keep such a great blog filled with anecdotes and reflections both funny and poignant. It's a joy to read.

Jeni said...

What??? No way!I am so happy and excited for you and your darling little family. Your blog makes me laugh. You are such a talented writer.