Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Heart Ogden: Free Movies at the Egyptian

I've been seeing flyers and putting the dates for free Saturday afternoon kiddie shows at the Egyptian Theater on my calendar for a couple of years now (they happen about once every other month). Last Saturday, I finally made it to a showing.

I loaded up the kids and headed down to this beautiful, ornate theater. I'm so grateful that it was not torn down when I was a kid thanks to astute members of the community who fought hard.

The kids were free, and it was so reminiscent of days gone by the way they each presented a milk cap for their admission. My ticket was $3. At that bargain, I felt empowered to go a little crazy at the concessions stand -- where treats were a bit more reasonably priced too.

I like the big Megaplex theaters and all, but, it's hard to go there without feeling a little taken advantage of. This was totally a fun experience without breaking the bank.

In the theater, an old man with pure white hair entertained us with his talents at the organ. An old cartoon short was first to show when the lights went down (and, this theater is so quaint, it even has stars that twinkle on the ceiling). Next, we saw a very old silent film that was hilarious! After the shorts, the lights came back up for a drawing. They had given the kids raffle tickets at the door and they gave away three games and a bicycle. When has going to a movie been so exciting?

Finally, the featured presentation, "Space Chimps" began. What a fun, affordable community event. Just another of the millions of reasons I heart Ogden. We will definitely do this again.

1 comment:

Janene said...

I think it is great that they are doing so much downtown Ogden -- you're lucky you live close to enjoy it all!