Monday, December 1, 2008

Mom, I Have Many Talents



On Thanksgiving, Photoguy took the boys with him to take pictures of the neighborhood Turkey Bowl and Soph and I stayed behind to do what women do on Thanksgiving -- slave away in the kitchen while the men play/watch football.

I can't complain. I've never done a full Thanksgiving spread (unless you count the tiny feast I put together with two burners and a toaster oven in China a few years ago). We switch off each year between my family and Photoguy's family and either my mom or Photoguy's parents do the bulk of the work. This year, we went to my in-law's and I contributed a couple of green salads and a gigantic pot of mashed potatoes. I decided to be brave and hand over a sharp knife to Soph so she could help me dice. It worked out really well -- no trips to the ER for stitches or digit reattachments. It was so rewarding to be working with my daughter in the kitchen, and unlike in years past, her help was actually really helpful. The sacrifices of letting them "help out" in the kitchen as toddlers and pre-schoolers finally pays off.

Last night, I was making more mashed potatoes for Sunday dinner and she eagerly volunteered to help out.

Soph as she is cutting: "Mom, I have lots of talents."
Me: "Mmm-hmmm."
Soph: "Like helping in the kitchen. I think cooking is one of my talents. And, singing with a beautiful voice and I think being a rockstar in a band is definitely one of my talents."
Me: "Great!"
Soph: "I just don't think piano is one of my talents."

Very clever Soph. She's been trying to get out of piano lessons this year. But, I told her she has to stick with it at least until the end of level one (that will keep her going another year or two). It is so important to me that my kids have music in their lives. I told her she can pick voice lessons or another instrument when she finishes level one. But, piano is a good base and I'm just mean like that.

5 comments:

Malea said...

Way to go mean mom. As a fellow mean mom, our kids will be talented both artistically, and mathmatically. My 8 year old has tried to quit guitar many 'o time when all his homies were tearing it up outside whilst he practiced.

Unknown said...

I am mean like that too! In fact, I am often the "meanest mom in the world." OH well. They'll thank me one day.

Christina said...

Man, she is pretty smooth. Way to work that piano comment in there. That is so cute that she is sweet and innocent enough to list her talents without hesitation.

Unknown said...

I let Maegan quit when she was young both ballet and piano. Now she gets mad at me all the time and tells me children should not be allowed to make their own choices. So she took piano again in high school and ballet in college. I told her I would see what she would do when her cild cried because she had to pactice and go to dance.

Amy said...

I love that. She is very smart and clever.