Sunday, May 23, 2010

Saturday's Thoughts







Dear Katie,

On this day one year ago, I awoke early from dreams of a nine-pound baby.  

I had gone to sleep the night before thinking that perhaps I should be pregnant for 10 months instead of 9.  I was nervous.  How would I take care of four children when I barely had the energy to take care of three?  I thought it safer to keep you in my belly for awhile.

But, my Doctor had said you were growing fast and approaching nine-pounds.  So when I woke up one year ago today, I suddenly felt that you needed to come out before you grew anymore.  

I spent the day eating Indian food and thinking about how to get you to make your appearance in the world.  At the end of the day, the moment I laid my head on my pillow, you decided it was time.

You were born in the wee hours of the next morning.  You were perfect and beautiful and not (not quite) nine-pounds.  You had delicate features and perfectly arched eyebrows.  I dressed you all in pink.

I brought you home hoping I was ready for whatever adjustments we would have to make to ensure your comfort.  But, you were so content and sweet from the beginning.  You didn't have your days and nights mixed up.  You slept for five-hour stretches.  You didn't need a binky or your thumb to soothe yourself, you loved to snuggle with something soft and gently suck on your own tongue.

You've always eaten like a champ and have grown into an adventurous palette with salmon, avocado, pineapple, yams and ginger mango as some of your favorites.  

At nine-months you learned to crawl not only up, but also safely down the stairs.  At eleven months plus one-week, you took your first steps.  After every few steps you would stop and look around expectantly, waiting for your applause.  I guess you are use to all eyes on you growing up with so many admirers.  

Now that you are turning one, you entertain yourself by toddling all over the house.  Your favorite game is emptying any drawers and bins you can get your hands on.  You helped me plant our garden by eating fists full of dirt.  You love to wear grown up shoes (on your hands and your feet).  You are beginning to express big opinions about things, like the way you howled so loud when we brought you indoors this afternoon when you preferred to stay outside.  You love to hold eye contact and flash your shy smile.  You always giggle.  You always make us laugh.  I think you and your brother Isaac really "get" each other.  Sophie and Ian are so taken with you.  Another sister is just what our family needed.  

It's definitely been the fastest year of my life so far and I can't believe you are already one.  I will keep my fingers crossed that time will slow just a little so I can savor the moments of your babyhood some more.

Love,

Mom

4 comments:

Nanette said...

This is lovely.

Amy said...

every single thing you said about katie is true.(sophie)

Malea said...

Sweet post, dear Amy. You have a gift. And your children will most definately thank you, especially when they are assigned to speak on family history....sweet, sincere letters like this have a way of touching generations.....and making me crave Indian food;)

Janene said...

oh! I took a picture of her with Peter's shoes on her hands while she walked around. I thought she was doing it just for me. :o)