I just returned from a trip to the store for googly eyes and Hershey's kisses for an art project with Ian's class on Monday. Ian and I decided to also add another project requiring us to buy colored paper. I said out loud, "Let's see, we are going to need 120 hearts, and we can probably cut 8 hearts from each page, so, how many pages do we need?" Ian started to calculate. Then, I said, "Well, if we could fit 10 hearts to a page, we would need 12 pages, so I'll just buy a few more than 12."
Ian said, "But, I can figure out what 120 divided by 8 is. If you divide 120 into 12 tens, and then you change each 10 into an 8, then you have 12 eights and 12 twos. The 12 twos = 24. 8x3 is 24, so 24 has 3 eights and 3+12 is 15, so 120 divided by 8 is 15." And, by golly, he was right! I am always intrigued by the inner workings of his math mind.
Today I realized that yesterday I was just tired. I would like to know how it is possible to squeeze in a workout before getting kids ready for school and still get enough sleep without going to bed before 10 p.m.? I do so love my sanity saving workouts. And, I also love sleep.
It is a tricky balancing act - life.
Last night, Brian and I joined friends for a date night cooking class at For Your Kitchen. The theme was fondue. After several rounds of marinated meats and cheesy and chocolaty goodness, interspersed with sparkling non-alcoholic beverages, and plenty of laughs and good conversation, I came home and slept late. So late that I missed yoga. But, it was worth it. I woke up happy and refreshed and ready to make sugar cookies and Valentines with the kids.
We used cake decorating tools to frost heart shaped sugar cookies in red, pink and white. My kids were surprisingly adept, and the cookies turned out prettier than ever before! Not like the globs-of-frosting, caked-with-sprinkles gems that we usually produce. They were making all sorts of pictures, adding embellishments and spelling out their names. Ian looked at one particularly well decorated cookie and said, "I never knew I could be so artistic with frosting." Yes. It was a fabulous day. And, I'm glad I was not too tired to enjoy it.
In between the festivities, I've been trying to put together a story for the newspaper on the Green Map project as it relates to Repertory Dance Theatre and Weber State University. It is a really, really cool concept, and I think I just might blog about it. But, right now, I must take advantage of the fact that all the kids are sleeping and stop avoiding what has to be done - finishing the story.
And then, sleep, sweet sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment