Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Love the Day of Love

I think the tradition began when Sophie and Ian were babies.

We didn't want to leave them with a babysitter and we couldn't leave them with our parents on the busiest date night of the year. So, for Valentine's day, we had a cozy candlelight dinner at home with spaghetti and chocolate dipped strawberries.

It was so nice that every Valentine's day, we have kept up the tradition of a candlelight dinner with the whole family (Brian and I did have Fondue night on Friday after all).

The morning began with delivering heart shaped cookies and Valentines that we had made over the weekend to friends. In the afternoon, I went to the elementary school for Ian's party. The kids came home and spent hours going through their Valentines (and eating candy) making for a nice quiet afternoon for me as I set the table all fancy and prepared our feast.

This year, the menu was heart shaped waffles topped with heart shaped butter, strawberries and chocolate sauce. We also had strawberry-banana smoothies in margarita glasses and bacon (my kids and Brian LOVE bacon). Brian got home in time for dinner (and, he even washed the dishes that had been accumulating all day - sweet). Right before dinner, there was a knock at the door. I opened it and found a flower delivery person holding a huge vase of flowers for ME!


It was the perfect centerpiece for our dinner.

(we didn't think to take any pictures until after everything was already cleaned up)

I always envision the whole family sitting down to a nice meal, having pleasant conversation at dinnertime. This almost never happens. I won't elaborate on what it is usually like. But, last night, it did happen. And, it was lovely.

After dinner, we decided to play a round of UNO Attack. It went on for over an hour. At first Katie was dancing around us and being cute while we played our cards. Then, things got rather intense. People had traded hands several times. Hands had been down to UNO and back up to a dozen cards more than once. Brian didn't know if he should play his reverse or keep it going the same direction because he desired revenge against Sophie AND Ian (the players to his left and right).

We played it out, and at long last, Sophie was the winner. After we put the cards away, I looked around and said, "Where is Katie?" And, guess where we found her? Asleep in her own bed.

The perfect night of love.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

What a hoot! I can't believe she put herself to bed! That is a perfect night, indeed. I love your idea of including the kids in Valentine's Day, even evening. I've always thought of it as a holiday for me and Kyle and guess what? We are busy and too cheap for a sitter so did absolutely nothing to celebrate Valentine's Day this year. Nothing. Next year, we celebrate with candle lit waffle dinner and uno like the Nicholsons! I love it!