We didn't sign Ian up for competitive sports right away. He was always tall and athletic. He was also peacemaker number one. That boy came into this world without an aggressive bone in his body. It was one of his most endearing qualities when he was small.
When he was in third grade and Sophie was in fifth, we signed them both up for their first year of Jr. Jazz basketball with Ogden City. It was sweet watching third grade Ian play basketball. He was so polite about it. "What? Do you want to take this ball? Here you go. Don't let me get in your way."
It has been fun watching basketball Ian evolve over time. For the first two years, he did not want that ball. If it wound up in his hands, he passed it off as quickly as he could. Last year, he started to take more risks. It's basketball season again, and it is wonderful to see him out there with so much confidence and enthusiasm going after rebounds, blocking other players, making awesome passes and taking shots.
The past three years, the city has placed him on teams with classmates. Last year he was on a great team with four guys from his school. I was surprised this year when I saw the rosters and he was on a team without a single person he knew.
The guys from his team last year were all together and back with the same coach. Two more Polk students were on another team where one of their dads was the coach.
At Ian's request, I called the city to see if they would switch him to one of the teams with his friends. They would not because every team had exactly nine players.
We showed up to his first game last Saturday and I immediately recognized the team he was playing against as the championship team of years past. They are big guys (and, not just tall). They are aggressive and often use unsportsmanlike tactics to get the job done. I settled in for what I figured would be a blow out.
In the first quarter, the score remained low and close. Someone made a free throw shot, so the score was 5-6, 7-6, 8-7 . . .
I perked up and realized -- Ian's team had some serious moves. At the halftime buzzer, one of our guys made the most amazing three-point shot. He was so far down the court. The ball left his hands. The buzzer blared as the ball soared and -- swoosh!
Third quarter started with Ian's team in the lead 13-11. Fourth quarter started with the score still tight. For a minute, it looked like the other team would take it. Then, our guys started playing like their lives depended on it. They kept bringing it and bringing it and in the last three minutes of the game they took it! I can't remember the final score. Something like 24-21. A girl was selling me girl scout cookies during the last intense 60-seconds, so I missed some of the final plays. All I know is, we won! And, when we won, the boys on Ian's team started screaming and jumping around like they had won the championship game instead of the first game of the season.
The coach called his players together and congratulated them on winning against a team that has only been beaten one other time out twenty-seven games they have played together.
Looks like it will be an exciting season after all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment