Monday, February 16, 2015

Presidents Day

I love it when the kids have a day off school.  I wish they could have a three-day weekend at least once a month.  It is the best feeling Sunday night when you are tucking them in bed knowing that Monday morning everyone is going to sleep in and do whatever they want for the day!

We did sleep in.  Then, Ian requested that we visit a park near our house with a flat sidewalk spanning a full city block on all four sides.  It was a beautiful day and we went to said park so everyone could rollerblade and ride scooters.

Sophie wanted to go to a movie.  I needed to go grocery shopping.  After we got our fill at the park, I took all four kids with me to the grocery store.  It was pretty nice.  Sophie pushed Katie around in a cart and helped gather things from my list while I shopped with my own cart and the boys followed me around.

The theater was near the grocery store.  I dropped off the three older kids to watch the Penguins of Madagascar while Katie and I drove home to unload the groceries and start preparing dinner.

Katie and I also stopped by Office Max so we could buy pencils for Sophie.  She recently told me she was out of pencils and I said "No problem," because I bought a package of 72 of her favorite pencils back in August.  But, after searching the house, I realized, she was right.  All of the pencils were used up!  That girl -- she fills notebook after notebook with her writing.  She is insatiable.

After striking out at two different stores (she only wanted Ticonderoga No. 2 pencils in yellow with pink erasers) I finally got another 72-pack at Office Max.

It felt great to pick up the kids after their show and bring them home to a yummy meal of ham, cheesy potatoes and peas.  I haven't been the greatest at cooking dinners for awhile and I'm trying to get back on track with this.  I love how it makes the house smell good and feel all warm and cozy.

Now, everyone is outside running around the neighborhood playing freeze tag.

Katie and I just paused to savor the sunset together.  This is a tradition she initiated about 10-days ago.  She calls me out when the sun is setting and we watch it together from the front balcony every night.  I treasure this time with her.  I have always loved sunsets.  She is a girl after my own heart.

1 comment:

Janene said...

My kids called me out to see a sunset this week. I loved that! Because so many times it is me, calling them, sometimes from my cell to GO OUTSIDE and LOOK! I wonder if when they're older, when they see amazing clouds or pretty sunsets, they will think of me, because I always comment on things like that, as if I've never seen something like it. :)

Did you know you can get the Ticonderoga pencils at Costco? I have found them there in the past year or so.