Thursday, May 8, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along?

For Christmas, I gave Soph and E-Man "Be" boards. You know, "Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Involved, Be Clean, Be True, Be Positive, Be Humble, Be Still, Be Prayerful," from Gordon B. Hinckley's book "Way To Be!"

I bought the book for Soph in March and I've been reading it with the kids. I love it! It has some really, really great stuff. We just finished reading the chapter "Be Positive," and, I was touched by several thoughts.

He starts off by talking about commentators in the news media and pointing out how they often present a negative attitude. "They feed us a steady and sour diet of character assassination, faultfinding, and evil speaking . . . They constantly criticize and seldom praise."

I found this to be true when I was working for Senator Hatch. No matter how genuinely good of a person he was or how many great things he did, all I ever heard on the news were sound bites and criticism.

I am currently good friends with the Mayor of Ogden and his family. I know that their family has made deep personal sacrifices for the betterment of Ogden. He left a job that paid more money (than being Mayor) and he has repeatedly turned down annual raises in his 8-years in office. No one can ever say he did it for the money. He works long hours and stands up for what he believes to be right. He has done an incredible amount of good for our city, yet, the criticism and slander is never-ending. No one can say he did it for the glory. If I only knew him from the portrayal he gets in the media, I wouldn't think much of him. But, knowing him personally, he and his family are outstanding people.

I remember learning in a relief society lesson a few years ago that we should be careful about being negative and criticizing, even if it is about our political leaders, because this kind of negativity can spill into other facets of our lives. That was an interesting idea to me.

Hinckley goes on to say, "Yes, from time to time some of our leaders disappoint us. But there are many men and women serving with honor and integrity. This spirit of animosity has infected all of us to a certain degree . . . faultfinding, evil speaking, and criticizing each other as we comment on each other's lives and choices -- these are the spirit of our day, I am sorry to say."

"I am not suggesting that all criticism be silenced . . . But I am suggesting that we look for the great good among those with whom we associate and live, that we speak of one another's virtues and positive qualities more than we speak of one another's faults, that optimism replace pessimism, and that our faith exceed our fears."

"I would like to suggest that we stop seeking out the storms of life and enjoy the sunlight. I am suggesting that we 'accentuate the positive'."

I will try to refrain from typing the whole chapter word for word here. It will suffice to say that I found it very up-lifting.

And, since this is my blog, I would also like to add that I am troubled by all of the negativity I keep hearing about the Olympics in China. Do we have nothing better to do than fault-find and criticize with that one?

The other day, Brian received a disturbing e-mail forward called "How to make an Olympic logo," in which a person was assassinated leaving a body mark on a white wall surrounded by red blood (an exact replica of the Beijing 2008 logo). Incredibly poor taste.

Would it be so bad to find the good in the Olympics being held in China? Would it be so hard to compliment China on all of their progress in recent years? They are becoming more open and more economically viable. Their people are enjoying a higher standard of living than ever before. Do we really know that Communism hasn't been the best form of government to meet their population's unique needs? Do we even know what we mean when we say "Free Tibet"? Have any of those banner holders even done their history homework?

Would it be so hard to spread goodwill and brotherhood to a country that is currently pretty unhappy with us instead of talking about a ridiculous boycott? Would it be so much to ask to make this an opportunity to improve our relationship with China rather than cause further damage? Do we really think we can accomplish more by bad mouthing them?

The other day, I received this quote from a friend, "Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down." I'm not saying this is the only reason to be nice to China and/or other countries, or, that America is on its way down. But, we may not always be as invincible as we think we are. A little something to think about.

2 comments:

Janene said...

I appreciate your thoughts. And I think I ought to add that book to my list!

Layne said...

This reminds me of that Onion sticker that says, "Free Tibet With Purchase of Tibet of Equal or Greater Value."

Thanks for the reminder to think positively--the harder it gets, the more important it is, I think.