Sunday, May 4, 2008

My Easy Job

The following is a re-creation of a conversation between Soph and I a few minutes ago.

S: Mommy, Heidi has a big job.
M: Yes, she does. Why do you say that?
S: She is a lawyer. It's a really big job. And, you have a small job.
M: Well, when you grow up, do you think you would like to have a big job like a lawyer, or a small job like a mommy.
S: I want a small job like yours.
M: Why is that?
S: Because it is fun.
M: Yes, it is fun.
S: And, it's really easy. Your job is easy, but Heidi's job is hard. And, Daddy's job is hard too.

Note: I babysit Heidi's three kids, 7, 5 and 2, while she goes to work.

M: Pah-Haw-Haw-Haw-Ha! That is so hilarious! Honey, I hope you will give me a call someday when you are a mommy with three little kids, babysitting three more little kids (and, maybe even on a day like last Friday when we had eleven little kids), and especially if you are trying to work from home while taking care of all those little kids and tell me all about your 'small,' 'fun,' 'easy' job!

**This kind of reminds me of the time when she was 3 and E-Man was 2 and she begged me incessantly to drive all the way to Wal-Mart and haul them both inside just so she could get a gum ball (I had started to let them buy a gum ball at the end of shopping trips, but she wanted me to make a special trip, and, it was probably even E-Man's naptime). "Mommy!" She cried at me. "I will always take my kids to get gum balls anytime they want!" Well . . . we'll see about that.

3 comments:

Janene said...

maybe she thinks it is easy because she sees you doing it so WELL. It's true!

Courtney said...

I love what "janene" said. I must agree. I think there must be some reason that mothering is so unsung at times- I am not sure what it is, but I am sure there is purpose. I am glad to know I am not alone...

Christina said...

That is so cute. One day Eva told me that she wanted to be a mom. I was feeling sorry for myself and started listed all the chores she would do as a mom. Since then (over a year ago since my pity party), she still wants to be a cowgirl. Whoops.