Photoguy and I were shopping around for individual health insurance plans today. It felt pretty overwhelming since there are SO many things to consider. In the end, we found two plans that seemed pretty good. They are with IHC, which I guess is now called Select Health, or Select Med or something other than IHC. One plan is $200/month (for Photoguy and I), and it basically doesn't cover anything until we meet the $500 per person deductible. Oh, and there is a separate prescription deductible in addition to that.
Then, there is another plan that costs $240 per month, and it also has a $500 deductible, but, if we just have to go to the Dr. for an annual check-up or because we are sick, we only have to pay a $15 co-pay. The deductible is just for all the extra stuff like surgeries or broken bones or emergency room visits.
The logical part of me is reasoning that we should go with the $200 per month plan. Because, really, Photoguy and I are blessed to be very healthy (knock on wood) for the most part. It's pretty rare that we really need to go to the Dr. So, paying the extra $40 per month, or $480 per year, is probably more than we would just spend on the occasional Dr. visit, unless something really catastrophic happened, in which case we would end up paying the whole $500 deductible anyways.
But, the emotional part of me is like, "What? I'm paying $200 per month and I still have to basically pay for every single Dr. visit and prescription out of pocket anyways?" It just doesn't feel right. Like, I should get something out of it. I don't know . . . maybe one free gyno check-up, or a discount at the chiropractor, or, something. I kind of want the more expensive plan so I don't feel like it's such a rip-off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Health Insurance is never fun- when you need it you are sad because you are paying for something you don't need- when you need it you are sad because you are sick and need your insurance, but also you STILL have to pay a ton! It is no fun- just necessary.
I really would love to help you with some advice, but I simply CAN NOT re-read the post or think about health insurance -- especially this kind.
It is one of those things where I say to myself -- "you have to get to heaven, because there will be no insurance issues there!" (that is how much I don't like them)
We've been there. Good luck! :o)
I hate researching that kind of stuff. We are paying around $600 through Karl's work, can you believe it. Sounds like it would be a lot cheaper to get it private but seriously, the research and the decisions are keeping me from doing it. I am sorry!
Post a Comment