Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's What Fun Is

When I was around 10-ish, my family moved to Utah and my parents were delighted to discover Lagoon. In their own words they, "ran around like a couple of kids," the first time they went.

The only "amusement park" I'd been to before Lagoon was the "Fun Spot," in my childhood hometown -- which consisted of six kiddie rides at a park near the zoo. The latter half of my childhood was filled with many summers as a Lagoon season pass holder.

When Soph was born, I was excited to share the Lagoon experience (and, really everything else) with her. We had our Stake Lagoon day when she was 3 1/2 months old. My mom and I used the free entrance passes and the free tickets to take her on the Merry-Go-Round and the Train. I am totally serious when I say that I was watching her facial expressions the whole time, expecting to see excitement and glee, as we rode those rides. I was pretty surprised when she had the exact same expression as while sitting at home staring at a wall. But, we did get some nice photos of my mom, my darling baby and me by the carousel, and, now it's fun to look back and realize how much I truly needed to learn about infants as a new mother. It is amazing that they ever let me leave the hospital with that new baby, isn't it?

In the years that followed, Soph and E-Man enjoyed the Kiddieland rides as we made the obligatory once-per-summer trek to Lagoon. Last year, when AiAi was almost two-years-old I was excited to introduce him to this exciting place, but it turned out to be pure torture. He could not wrap his mind around the idea of waiting in line -- at all. So, the three rides he went on in Kiddieland went something like this: Him screaming and pointing at the ride the entire time we waited in line, him finally getting on the ride and breaking into a smile of bliss and ecstasy for exactly 60-seconds until the ride ended, followed by him throwing himself down (and smacking his head on the hard concrete) in a full-on tantrum as soon as the ride operator removed him from the ride. After three rides, I couldn't stand it anymore, and I dropped him off at Photoguy's parents' house for the rest of the day.

Today, we took the annual pilgrimage once again. Photoguy was working, so it was my mom, the kids, and I. We arrived soon after the park opened, and the first thing I discovered was that AiAi had no shoes. Oops! I mean, I was trying to pack light and all, but this was going a bit further than I'd intended. Luckily, they had exactly one pair of shoes in his size at a gift shop -- catastrophe averted.

We spent the rest of the day in amusement park heaven and I was so happy (relieved?) to see how much AiAi has grown up. He was actually able to enjoy himself, though he was quite the little line jumper -- just breezing his way right up to the front every time -- but, we were able to get him back into place with minimal confrontation this time.

Soph and E-Man were sooo disappointed that they are now too tall for the smallest of the kiddie rides -- the little boats. On the other hand, they are now both tall enough to ride the big roller coasters. For now, they aren't interested, even when I bribed them with a dollar. They still prefer to mostly stay in Kiddieland. Soph was able to conquer her fear of heights and ride the Skyride - twice. Bless her little heart, she was shaking, her heart was pounding, and she had to shut her eyes the whole way. Just like her mom. I was always terrified of that ride and it still gives me the willies today. In all honesty, I couldn't have handled riding it one more time.

We stayed until just before closing (we saw them shut off all the lights as we were pulling onto the freeway). Whew! What a day. The highlights:

  • Seeing AiAi's enthusiasm as he rode Puff and the kiddie bumper cars for the first time.
  • Blue Icee's -- oh, so refreshing on this hot, hot day.
  • E-Man's amazement at the jumping water fountain.
  • Soph's delight when a stranger gave her two stuffed animals (so he could ride the Skyride).
  • Being there with (and being thoroughly spoiled by) my mom.
  • Seeing Soph's obvious love of old things and history in Pioneer Village.
  • Riding Odysea with E-Man (who approached every ride with resistance and then begged to ride again by the time it was over).
  • Sitting with AiAi after he passed out in the afternoon, completely exhausted, knowing it was because he was having so much fun (he never sleeps voluntarily).

1 comment:

Eric said...

Thanks for a great post! I have so many memories of that place! When I go (which is quite seldom these days), I feel like I've come home.