Thursday, July 24, 2008

Why do we Gotta be so Colorful?

I've been making a serious effort to remove dye from my family's diet. Originally, I wanted to remove four things -- artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors and preservatives. It soon became apparent that removing preservatives is next to impossible. Unless, of course, I'm going to raise all of my own food myself. Even fruits and veggies are sprayed with preservatives. I could see I was fighting a losing battle.

And, so it went for weeks and months as I read label after label, trying to increase our health. In the end, I decided to start by removing dye. Lots of kids have dye allergies (red is the worst), and their reaction is hyperactivity and ADHD symptoms. I'm a little worried about hyperactivity with my 3rd child and I feel like the world would probably just be a better place if we didn't consume dye in the first place. I have been utterly amazed at how many things contain dye now that I'm paying attention.

Did you know that kid vitamins contain dye? I found some equally colorful vitamins, but, without artificial colors, at the health food store.

I use to consider Ovaltine in warm milk to be a healthy drink for the kids. I mean they advertise having all those vitamins and stuff. Did you know Ovaltine contains dye? For the longest time, I could not understand this until someone pointed out to me that it makes the milk darker brown without them having to use so much of the real deal cocoa.

I've always considered Creamies to be a healthy summertime snack for the kids. They are made with skim milk and are only 100 calories per serving. They are so delicious and, well, so creamy. Did you know they contain dye? Bummer.

My kids have always loved snow cones and otter pops in the summer. I usually keep the freezer stocked with the otter pops that are part fruit juice. But, of course, those are obvious offenders when it comes to dye.

This year, we've been eating go-gurt simple (I keep them in the freezer). They are fun colors too, but, because of natural ingredients like beet juice. I've also been buying Sun Drops, that are like M&M's except without the dye (and they cost an arm and a leg). They are also colored naturally. Why can't more companies use natural colors? Is it really so hard?

Really, my first question is, why does our food have to be so blasted colorful in the first place? Does everything really need to be so darn vibrant? I mean, aren't we suppose to be eating a rainbow of fruits and vegetables? Can't that alone satisfy our need for brilliant, vivid food? Does every candy and snack food have to be chock full of artificial coloring? And, it's not just junk food. Cheese, for example. Why does it have to be dyed orange?

So, I'm doing my best to get rid of dye. But, it seems like it creeps in in one way or another several times per week unless I just turn into some sort of health-food-nazi/social outcast. "Don't give my kids any Skittles! No, he can't have ice-cream. Of course we don't drink any sodas or fruit punch or lemonade -- not even at social gatherings where that is the only drink available. How dare you offer my kid a sucker at a parade!" Yeah, I just don't want to be that person. Yet, it seems like I am constantly justifying dyed food for one reason or another. It's so annoying.

4 comments:

Neighbor Lady said...

Hey, I didn't know that you were trying to eat foods without dye and I live just three houses down from you. By the way, we were planning on having a snow cone stand sometime before the summer ends. I’m pretty sure your kids will see it because you only live three houses away. When your kids come running down the street to see what all the commotion is, I’ll just say.

“Sorry, no red, cool, delicious dye for you. Hey, see all those other kids with red mustaches made from slopping up red, cool, delicious semi-frozen red dye slush made with 100% non-nutritional sugar, that ain’t going to be you. That’s because your mom cares about you and your health. So here kid, go enjoy a cup of ice. It’s on the house.”

Yours truly
Heartless Neighbor Lady

Nick@Nite said...

Don't your mean, "Hilarious Neighbor Lady?"

Layne said...

Oh, sister. What a highway this is, no? It's that delicate balance between Healthy Mom and Nazi Mom that I'm always trying to find.

Cheese is dyed orange because Jerseys (which have always been perceived as having very high quality milk, because it has so much butterfat) have a lot of beta carotene in their milk, so cheesemakers dyed their cheese with annatto to make it look more like cheese made with Jersey milk.

Sorry if you already knew that and I'm showing off.

Janene said...

That is crazy they would be putting dye in vitamins!

keep me posted on what has dye. I'm too lazy to do the research, but I also try to be a happy and healthy mom at the same time. But if happy means an occasional creamie, well then, what can you do?

ps. does chocolate have dye?