Dear AiAi,Earlier this month, you turned three-years-old. On the Sunday before your birthday, we celebrated with Daddy's family. Grandma and Grandpa gave you the book, "Song and Dance Man." Grandma said you remind her of a "Song and Dance Man," because of your animated personality and love of making others laugh. You were so proud to sit in the birthday chair, opening gifts and blowing out candles just like you've been watching everyone else do for the past year, patiently waiting your turn.
Right before your birthday, you had your first dentist appointment. I wasn't sure if you would meet this with resistance or trepidation. As it turned out, you hopped up in the chair, kicked off your shoes. laid right back, and opened your mouth wide, as if you had been waiting all your life for a turn at this too.
We spent the week of your birthday living in the lap of luxury at a cabin by Bear Lake. You could not get enough of the three dogs who came along, especially "Indy," a baby golden retriever. You followed that puppy everywhere, observing his every move, and offering him his dish of food and water when you felt it was the right time.
You also couldn't get enough of playing in the giant-sized garage. You spent hours climbing all over the empty boat trailer, or, pretending to drive the jet skis (while they were out of the water), or, perched up high on the seat of the old fashioned tractor (that is used to launch the boats and jet skis). Once, I found you and your cohort Izzy cozied up inside the dog kennel bouncing a tennis ball against the side.
On the day before you turned three, I suddenly had a memory that on that day three-years-ago, I was sitting at home dilated to a six anxiously awaiting your arrival (after weeks of active labor, I knew the end was finally near).
On your birthday, I fed you a big slice of my homemade chocolate cake.
On the Sunday after your birthday, we celebrated with my side of the family and an ice-cream-oreo-cake. Mammas and Grandpa gave you a set of wooden fruits and vegetables that hook together with velcro. You have spent hours cutting them apart with the wooden knife and connecting them back together again. Daddy and I gave you a scooter. Not a little kid scooter, a big kid one just like your brother and sister.
After 24-hours, you had it mastered and were riding all over the skating rink floor (at a birthday party we were invited to) at Classic Fun Center. First, in your rain boots (which you insisted on wearing in August), then, after you tired of those, in your bare feet. I was sure that someone would run over your little foot with a roller skate and crush it. But, we somehow made it through the night with both of your feet intact. You must have fallen down 100-times, but, you never considered giving up.
I have never met a three-year-old as independent as you. That same night (at the fun center), you spent hours playing on the inflatables and indoor playground equipment without feeling the need to check in with mom once.
At home, you frequently let yourself out into the backyard to play by yourself for hours at a time. Outside is your favorite place to be.
You insist on pouring your own glasses of milk (even though the gallon jug is heavier than you), placing them exactly "in the middle" of the microwave, and pushing the buttons yourself.
When you are sad, or hurt, you come to me and say simply, "I need a hug." After you are satisfied you tell me, "I'm O.K." and you're off on your merry way.
You think everything is funny. The other night, you placed my hand on your back and then started to squirm and laugh like I was tickling you (even though I wasn't). You giggle when I brush your teeth. You even act like it is all part of a game you planned out when dad or I get fed up with your misbehavior and give you a spanking or a time-out. You are delighted by it all, which is sometimes frustrating, like in the case of discipline. Though, I think it will serve you well in the long run.
Love,
Mommy
3 comments:
What a great note to AiAi! And I can't believe he's three!!!
I really love this. And I really love him too.
This was a great post. The fact you wrote to him and not about him was a nice change.
Post a Comment