Saturday, August 30, 2008

Peach Pie Tradition

It's become a little tradition of ours to pick up a peach pie from Maddox when the season is right. I think part of the allure (besides the obvious -- the pies are yumalicious) is the chase. Maddox peach pies are only available for about 3-4 weeks each year. If you're not paying attention, you'll miss your chance for a whole 'nother year. We picked up some pies on Thursday and invited over some friends. Photoguy made his fabulous stir-fry -- a secret recipe he picked up from a Sichuanese guy with a funny mustache who cooked over a flame right outside our apartment in Tianjin. Over there, it only cost us about $1.50 to feed our whole family. It's a lot more work -- lots of chopping -- now that we have to make it ourselves. But, still worth it.

Everyone raved about Photoguy's stir-fry. Then, we brought out the peach pie, and, the grown-ups got all quiet and reverent about it and instructed us not to give any to the kids since they could not yet appreciate something so extraodinaire.

Today was the Farmer's Market. Have I mentioned how much I love the Farmer's Market on this blog? Lunchtime was another feast of fresh veggies galore, accented this time with my homemade whole wheat bread (with wheat I ground in my new wheat grinder -- wowyum!). I felt such a sense of satisfaction putting that meal on the table. After we chowed down, Photoguy grabbed the leftover peach pie and started to divvy. Soph seemed to enjoy hers, but, E-Man turned up his nose and said, "I don't like peaches or pie!". What!? Photoguy said, "Well, try it with some of that (fresh-homemade-real-deal-is-it-wrong-to-lick-this-up-alone?) whipped cream." To which E-Man responded with a resounding, "Whipped cream! Bleeeccchhh!!!" I wished I had a video recording of this conversation to play back to E-Man in the future when his tastes have matured to show him how silly he sounded and the kinds of nonsense he put us through with his apathy or disdain toward most foods.

Here is your heads-up -- Peach Pie at Maddox, get it now!

6 comments:

Layne said...

Oh, man. Peach season is the best. We have been eating them till we're bleeding peaches from our eyes, and we're still not sick of them. I want your stir-fry recipe! Unless it's a secret, of course.

Janene said...

oh oh oh. I am almost stressing that I'm not going to get any fresh peaches this year. Couldn't go to the farmers market Saturday, so this week it's permanent markered into the schedule.

good food is cause for such rejoicing, isn't it!?

Anonymous said...

As the very lucky friend who got to eat some of that divine peach pie, WOW! It was wonderful. Thanks for sharing. It really shows what a great friend you are because I would have been really tempted not to share.

Neighbor Lady

Christina said...

I love peach season, but I think I might like that stir-fry even more!

Courtney said...

Yum! I haven't had any peaches yet (only nectarines), but now I have to get some. I love the Farmer's Market, but you make me appreciate it even more.

Tina said...

I think peaches are the best part of summer!! Thanks for the sharing a great story.