Sunday, January 11, 2009

Eight Already?

Soph bravely jumping off the diving board for the first time last summer (after some urging from Daddy).
Reading to AiAi in the pepto-palace.
Dear Soph,

Suddenly I look at you and see that you have changed from my darling baby to a little lady. When did this happen? I guess it has been happening gradually since the day you were born.

In a few short months, you will be baptized. Eight-years-old. That seems so grown-up. I can't imagine how I went from babies to having an eight-year-old.

I'm so proud of your loving disposition. When you were in the first grade, your teacher wrote me a note telling how you went out of your way to be kind to Tucker (who was the class bully and had a hard time making friends). When I read the words, "Soph knows how to treat others and is an example to all of us," it felt like one of the most crowning and validating moments in motherhood so far. Thank you for being a kind person. If there is anything I could teach you (besides a strong testimony) it would be that.

I'm so grateful that we get to bring a sister into the family for you to love and nurture this spring. I had no idea that you would get so excited over having a girl. I love the way you speak to her through my belly each night and tell her all about your stuffed animals and the great adventures you'll have together as sisters. I hope you will always be best friends with all of your siblings.

I'm proud of your accomplishments in piano. I love the way your face looks all dreamy when you play. And, I'm proud of you for stepping outside of your comfort zone to eagerly conquer ice-skating lessons. You do love the cold, so, I guess ice-skating fits. You've spent more time outside since the snow fell than you did in the warm weather. Completely opposite from your mom in this one regard.

You've told me that you want to be an art teacher and an author when you grow up. I know you will excel at both if that is what you want to do. You are so smart, I know you can be anything you decide. You've also told me that you never want to get married because you never want to change your last name. You can keep your last name forever if you want, but, I hope you don't miss out on experiencing the greatest joys life has to offer as a wife and mother someday.

I thought you would have grown out of stuffed animals a little by now. When you slept in your tiny toddler bed, there was hardly enough room for you with all your furry friends crowded around. Then, we got you a bigger bed and the pack of animals grew. I'm always encouraging you to "put a few of them away," but, you just won't have it. And, so you sleep curled in a little ball in the loving embraces of all your animal friends watching over you and protecting you as you dream.

I'm proud of the way you've taken to cooking. Before Christmas, you mentioned that you'd like some cooking tools of your own. Mammas (who always spoils you) ran right out and bought every mini chef gadget she could find. I've loved watching you and E-Man work together baking mini muffins and other concoctions. Just yesterday, you made no-bake cookies all by yourself.

Thank you for being one of my greatest joys in life. I hope you will always let me lay by your side for a few minutes before you fall asleep, and I'm already feeling a bit misty eyed that that will end all too soon, in ten more years or so when you grow up and move off on your own. For now, I will try to savor the moments of your childhood as much as I can.

Love,
Mom

No comments: