I think that secretly Soph has known the truth about Santa and the Easter Bunny deep down inside for awhile, though she chooses to keep up the facade for some reason. I say this because when she had just barely turned three, we attended an Easter party at a friend's house that was complete with a visit from the Easter bunny himself. After it was over, Soph said to me, "Mommy, I think the Easter bunny was really just Lexy's dad dressed up in a costume." Me: (sweating bullets) "Really honey, ummm, why do you think that?" Her: (sweet and reassuring) "Not really mom. I think it was really the real Easter bunny." It was like she was afraid of ruining it for me.
A few times this year, someone would slip and say something about "Santa" and Soph would quickly interject a cover-up or act like she was oblivious rather than being like, "Hey, wait just a minute, what did that person just say?" So . . . I think deep down she knows, but I love that she wants to keep playing along. E-Man, on the other hand, was full of some thoughtful questions on the Santa issue this year as illustrated in the following overheard conversations . . .
E-Man: "I don't think Santa could keep track of the naughty and nice children on a list. There isn't enough room."
Soph: "It's not a list, it's a book. A really big book."
E-Man: "Well, that book would have to be as big as a house."
And, a few days later.
E-Man: "I don't think Santa can deliver all the toys around the world in just one night."
Soph: "It's just magic."
E-Man: "Yeah, but when it is daytime here, it is nighttime in China. It would take him at least a day and a night." As in, one 24-hour rotation of the earth to cover nighttimes all around the world. Now, who can argue with that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment