Monday, February 7, 2011

Frida Bistro

It's gourmet Mexican dining -- trust me, you've never tasted Mexican food like this before.

I didn't actually do a story on this restaurant, Frida Bistro in Salt Lake, so I will try to get the facts straight as far as I can gather from second hand sources.

It seems that "Frida" was a very famous Mexican artist and the owner of the Frida Bistro is a big fan. So, he opened a restaurant using her name and her face for the logo. The inside of the restaurant itself is a treat -- very artsy with bright splashes of color. The walls are covered with beautiful paintings by local artists -- many of them are portraits of Frida although I don't think any of the paintings are actually by Frida (because it's my understanding that those paintings would be very pricey).

The food.

I don't think there is any place in Ogden (or, closer to Ogden than Salt Lake) to get food like this. The atmosphere was nice, and also whimsical and cozy, but the food was very classy. They did not bring us chips and salsa. In its place they brought us a plate of some sort of pastry and roasted pumpkin seeds. I didn't see beans, Spanish rice, tamales or any of the usuals on the menu. Brian ordered the Pato Sucio, otherwise known as "duck" (the spicy sauce was delicious) and I ordered the Stuffed Calabazitas - stuffed zucchini.

My meal was as beautiful as any entree I have ever eaten -- my tres verdes rice in a perfect pyramid sandwiched on the rectangular plate between a cactus salad and some very delicious and gorgeous stuffed zucchini. The meal was AWESOME. It totally scratched the itch I have had for some great food. I've been feeling bored like I am eating the same things all the time. This was a fiesta for my taste buds.

Be sure to save room for dessert because they have a very talented in-house pastry chef as well.

Bon Apetit!

(Or, whatever it is they say in Spanish).

2 comments:

Layne said...

This sounds amazing, and I really want to try it. Plus John owes me, so it'll work out very nicely.

Janene said...

buen provecho!

I just have to throw out some intelligence today! :o)