Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Yummy Dip Recipe

Layered Black Bean Dip

15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
4.25-ounce can chopped black olives
1 small onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
8-ounces non-fat cream cheese, softened
1 package frozen corn, thawed
1 tomato, chopped
1 green onion, sliced
15-ounce baked tortilla chips

Mix beans, olives, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, red pepper, cumin and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Spread softened cream cheese on bottom of serving plate. Spoon bean mixture evenly over cream cheese. Arrange corn in ring around the edge of plate; sprinkle with onion and tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips. Serves 12.

I just picked up this recipe at a cooking class and it is delish! Even my kids, who lately approach every meal with, "That looks/smells/sounds disgusting!" gobbled it right up. I used dried black beans prepared according to the package directions. I've only made it once, but I'm thinking that you could use non-fat sour cream instead of cream cheese to make it a bit more healthy (I use that sour cream made from yogurt and it's pretty healthy). Or, even cut the cream cheese in half. The olive mixture, beans and veggies on top are so, so flavorful. Plus, I'm thinking other chopped fresh veggies would go nicely on top too -- like bell peppers. It's a perfect dish to take to a pot-luck BBQ or bring to the park for the moms to munch while the kiddies play this summer.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Yum! Sounds so good (I'm the only one in my family who will eat cream cheese, unfortunately). I haven't visited your blog for a while (we've been summering). Love the pics from Photoguy! He should think about making a living with that talent :).

Michelle said...

You should definitely think about having a party - I would be happy to drive down. Plus I haven't seen you in FOREVER! Your wedding, probably? Yikes...