Friday, April 24, 2009

Does the Baby Wear Underwear?

We are back on the potty train after a long pause (we went back to diapers last October after four months in underwear).

A couple of days into it, Isaac became extremely defiant (the reason we went back to diapers before). I was starting to feel a little bit frustrated by the afternoon and Isaac was begging to wear a diaper. I was holding my ground. Then, he said:

"Mommy, does the baby have to wear underwear?"
"No, the baby isn't wearing a diaper or underwear right now."
"Will the baby wear diapers?"
"Yes, all babies wear diapers. You are almost 4-years-old. You need to wear underwear."
"When that baby comes out of your tummy, I want to be a baby in your tummy."

Isaac has a way of always melting down both mine and Brian's abilities to be firm (not so impressive with me, the softy, but a major feat over Brian the disciplinarian).

I let him put on a pull-up while we looked through his baby book, reviewing ultrasound and belly pictures to reassure him that he had already been a baby in my tummy. In all of the excitement for the new baby, I guess I forgot that my current baby might be feeling a little ousted. We are now on day #5 and still in underwear (crossing my fingers).

In other news, I'm 34 1/2 weeks and there is some serious belly action going on. She dropped at 32 weeks exactly, providing a welcome and noticeable difference in my breathing capacity. But, something more happened yesterday and she is now so exceedingly low, my hips are really feeling it. It's weird because my belly looks different too. It's definitely too early for her to be born, but, I'm not too worried. It seems to always take me weeks and weeks to work through the stages of labor.

1 comment:

Janene said...

oh, ya know, I really love it when my kids open up to me with something that helps me understand what is going on in their head. You have such a sweet little guy! :o)