Friday, April 3, 2009

Having My Cake, But Not Getting To Eat It Too

As I previously posted -- I was caught completely by surprise on Tuesday with an offer from the Deseret News to write a weekly history piece.

My elation was tempered on Thursday when I spoke to my current editor and found out that they have a strict policy about their freelancers not writing for other newspapers. So sad! The D-News knew I was already writing for the Ogden newspaper, and they were fine with it. But, as it turned out, the feeling was not mutual on Ogden's end.

What to do? I've been writing for the Ogden newspaper for nearly 10-years. Doing it for all this time has helped me gain a bit of seniority and freedom with the articles I write. I love doing the weekly restaurant features and they pay me very well -- surprisingly even more than the D-News will pay me for the weekly history pieces. I love writing for the features editor. It is where I hoped to someday end up when I first began writing for the newspaper and I've felt so blessed to get to do exactly what I wanted to do.

At the same time, moving on to a larger newspaper (and, the newspaper where my hubby now works) seems like the natural progression in writing for me. It's difficult to know what doors may open up to me if I make the switch. Plus, the history pieces will challenge my intellect more than the restaurant features. It seems like a short term loss (more work for less money) for a possible long term gain (more job satisfaction and perhaps equal money eventually).

Do I go for easy money? Or, do I be true to myself and take on a new challenge?

In response to my dilemma, the D-News generously offered to delay their history segment until the end of the month (so that the Standard can finish running the restaurant features I've already written without creating a conflict). And, just today, they sweetened the deal even further by offering me the chance to be their Ogden correspondent. Which means, I would get to write one or two stories per month relating to Ogden in addition to the weekly pieces. I have waited for 4 1/2 years for them to ask me to write for them.

Can you tell I'm kind of leaning toward taking on the new challenge of the D-News? But, easy money and familiarity. Now, that's hard to let go of . . .

7 comments:

Layne said...

This is easy for me to say, since it doesn't affect my life, but I would go for the Desnews. A new challenge with perhaps more opportunity down the road . . . sounds like a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

You have way too much talent to keep doing the easy thing, in the long run you know you will love the challenge and opportunity.

Malea said...

I think I can speak for both Christina and myself when I say, "GIVE UP BEING PAID TO EAT? ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!"

Sorry, had to take a moment to calm down...do the Deseret, it suits you.

Christina said...

Ahh... Malea knows me well.

I have to agree. Sounds like the Deseret News can see that you are a good thing. Sounds like it will be better for you as far as growing goes.

Sounds like your current paper is being kind of silly to hold to that, "We can't share our freelance people" rule.

Your talent needs to be shared with a bigger audience.

Tina said...

It sounds like the D-News is what you what...it seems like there is more opportunity for growth there too. So, sounds like the pay is the only thing holding you back. Did you negotiate your pay with the D-News? If not, my suggestion is to say "hey, I'm really excited about working for you guys, but giving up my other job for it is a loss. Any chance you can match my pay?" You do have tons of experience! Also, do you know if what the D-News offered is the going rate for freelance writers? They may have offered low, expecting you to negotiate. Anyway...good luck! I'm excited for you for your opportunities!

Janene said...

I'm totally taking back everything nice I ever said about Ogden. Heh, Just kidding --

that is tough. Sounds like you already know what your gut is telling you to do. Change is hard, and now that I think of it, wasn't there a good talk about it from conference. Maybe Saturday?

Courtney said...

What a great choice you have- two great options. Either way, they are lucky to have you.