Slowly, I am amassing my own hoard of mommy power tools. Two years ago, I got an electric wheat grinder. Recently I added a Kitchen Aid. The wheat grinder and the Kitchen Aid have been a great combo and I've been baking up a storm.
Before getting the Kitchen Aid, I wanted one because everyone l-o-v-e-d theirs. But, I was also kind of thinking, "What is the big deal? Is it really that hard to hold a mixer or knead dough?" Well, now that I've had the Kitchen Aid around, I can see what the big deal is. It's like having another person helping out in the kitchen. And, I'm not talking about a person under the age of five. In fact, this "helper" is also a great source of entertainment and distraction for my under-age-five helpers.
About two years ago, I started baking my own bread off and on. It was yummy, but, difficult to use for sandwiches because it would always fall apart when I would cut it. About two weeks ago, a friend of mine took me to a fabulous whole wheat cooking class and I finally learned how to make awesome bread! It's fluffy and holds together. It's a lot like Great Harvest honey whole wheat.
3 cups hot water (110-120 degrees)
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey or Xagave
1 Tbsp. liquid lecithin (opt.)
2 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten
1 Tbsp. dough enhancer
2 Tbsp. SAF instant yeast
1 Tbsp. salt
6-8 cups freshly milled whole wheat flour
In the mixing bowl add water, oil, honey (or, Xagave) and lecithin. Don't mix. Add four cups of flour. Don't mix. On top of the flour, add wheat gluten, dough enhancer and yeast. Do not add the salt yet. "Jog" in the mixture by switching it on and off quickly to combine ingredients. Then, mix on speed 2 until smooth. Let stand for about 10 minutes (until dough has doubled in size). Then add the salt and mix it in. Finally, add the remaining 2-4 cups of flour 1/2 cup at a time. The dough will seem very sticky. When it doesn't stick to a lightly floured finger, stop adding flour (it will seem like it's not enough flour and too sticky, but, stop anyways and it will be better). Mix for 10 more minutes on speed 2. Coat hands with shortening and form into 3 small or 2 large loaves. Place in greased loaf pans. Let rise until doubled -- 30-40 minutes. Place into a cold oven (don't preheat) and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
** Note, I like to make two medium size loaves and use the extra dough for cinnamon rolls, monkey bread or pizza crust.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ok. Call me a genius. I JUST realized you were telling us all things you love. I will try that recipe when I get home. Thanks for sharing. Any tips on working with the super duper sticky and messy liquid lecithin?
You know I love my kitchen slave. Where did you purchase your wheat grinder, what should I look for in said wheat grinder, and what would you say is a fair price? Thanks!
With the lecithin, I find it easier to just pour it straight into the bowl and eyeball a tablespoon because it is so super sticky. And, I'm using the Blendtec Kitchen Mill. It's really loud (I think all electric wheat grinders are?). But, I'm very, very happy with it. I just saw some on-line for $179 with free shipping, which is what I paid for mine. I am sold -- if you are going to store wheat (and, if you plan to rotate your food storage and/or actually use it) -- get a wheat grinder!!!
Yes - the grinder and the mixer ARE a great pair! And thanks for another bread recipe for me to try out! Here's a site your friend might want to take a peak at that compares wheat grinders: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/index.aspx#Nutrimill
If you keep scrolling down, it will go over numerous mills and the pros and cons. We have the Nutrimill. It works great and I like that I can adjust the coarseness of my flour.
Post a Comment