When I was growing up, we did not own a waffle iron. Oh, sure, we had pancakes, french toast, cinnamon toast and all manner of sugar cereals. It's not as if we were deprived. But, waffles became the novelty breakfast item for me. The only time I got to eat them was when I slept over at my best friend's house. Every time her mother asked us what we wanted for breakfast, I requested waffles. To this day, one of my favorite wedding gifts is still a heart shaped waffle iron we received (I use it for special occasions, we've since added a Belgium waffle maker too).
Recently, my friend Deanne gave me the best waffle recipe ever:
1/4 c. walnuts or pecans
2 c. vanilla soy milk
2 eggs
1 small apple, peeled and cored
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. canola oil
Place walnuts in a blender on high speed until flour-like. Add milk, eggs, apple, honey and oil. Blend on medium speed for two minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the waffle iron and mix the following in a large bowl:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix well. Use about 3/4 cups batter for each waffle. Makes about 6 Belgium waffles.
You can top them however you want, but, my recommendation is honey and cinnamon. Delish! Now, go make waffles for dinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Bobby and I want to get a waffle iron so badly!!! Maybe once the house is done we willl indulge and I will certainly use this recipe, sounds super yummy! I agree with you about waffles, there is something magical about them. We didn't have one growing up either but my aunt would make then for desert and top them with icecream-amazing!
Sounds good!!! Your post was perfect timing--I've been looking for a new whole wheat waffle recipe. I love waffles and make them all the time for dinner.
YUMMMMMMM. I can't wait to try this recipe out. It sounds delicious.I love waffles, they remind me of my childhood. I think we were always asking my Mom to make them for us.
seriously. I could eat breakfast for dinner most nights of the week! Look at that recipe, thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment