Layne's lemon pie is soooo delish! My mom said it is the best lemon pie she has ever had in her life. But, I don't think I should say such things about my own cooking.
As far as the pregnancy goes, unlike my previous births, I have not been anxious to have this baby. I mean, I am excited, but, not "anxious" as in, "get out now!" I've been really mother-earth, my-body-knows-what-to-do and she'll-come-when-she-is-ready about the whole thing.
My official due-date is June 1st. Or, sometime between the 1-3, but, officially, on my chart it is June 1st. Since I've never actually been preggo up to my due-date, I've just gone with the official due-date of "end of May." When that doesn't appease peoples' inquiries and they want a more specific date, I say, "the very end of May." If they are just dead set on an exact date (and, why are so many people dead set on an exact date? It's not an exact science people!), I tell them, "June 1st." There are you happy now? I'm due so late in May, that it might even be June.
Even though my comfort has been greatly compromised for the past month (read: life=pain), I have still tried to think of each day as a precious gift of time. One more day to clean and organize, one more day to set up the nursery, one more day to go to the kids' softball games, one more day for Isaac to be the baby . . . come rock-a-bye with me my baby one more time before my arms are filled with another little one.
Physically, I've been ready to burst for quite some time. But, mentally and emotionally, I was more shooting for the middle of June.
Finally, Wednesday morning, I woke up and thought, "I'm ready." Not like, "get out now!" But, like, "I'm ready. I'm at peace. I could go anytime and that would be okay."
Then, I started thinking about lemon pie and how when we bit into it on Tuesday, the books arrived and it became celebration pie. Could it possibly be a charmed pie that could induce celebratory events, even labor? I ate a piece for breakfast just in case.
I went to a Doctor's appointment Thursday morning.
I'm at a 3 and 75% effaced. Which means absolutely nothing to me since I'm typically at a 4 for absurd lengths of time. All of my babies are posterior and that is why my labors are so long (as in weeks). I'm trying to be open to the idea that this labor could be different. We'll see.
For quite some time the Doctor has been telling me that this baby is large. I figured she would slow down, because, I've had three kids and they've all been pretty close to 7 1/2 pounds. I think I know what I am doing, and, I don't grow 10-pound babies.
Or, do I?
Yesterday morning, I had to come to grips with the reality of my Doctor telling me that this baby is already 9-pounds!!! Whaaat? I mean, she could be smaller (or, heaven forbid, bigger!). They don't know "for sure." But, this I do know -- a few hours before Ian was born, they told me he was 7 lbs. 5 oz. and that is exactly what he weighed. So, I do think my doctor is exceptionally good at determining this kind of thing.
My Doctor said, "When babies grow over 9-pounds, we get concerned about the shoulders getting stuck in the pelvis." And, I said, "Oh, yeah, Sophie's shoulders got stuck and she had to be pretty forcibly removed (with a vacuum and three Doctor's pushing - no, more like sitting - on my stomach if you must know). But, she was my first and this is my fourth, so the way has been paved."
My Doctor looked pretty concerned, and asked, "How big was Sophie?" The answer: 7 lbs. 11 oz. (my biggest so far). And, then my Doctor looked really concerned and said, "Well, your pelvis does not get bigger with each birth so this is a problem."
I reflected on our conversation for the rest of the day and woke up at 5 a.m. thinking, "I MUST have this baby TODAY!" I e-mailed my request to be induced and my Doctor called me back at 8 a.m. to say, "Yeah, you and everyone else wants to be induced on the Friday of a holiday weekend!" So, she scheduled me for Tuesday, unless . . .
Well, unless I can somehow get some contractions going on. Then, she will happily help me keep the labor going once I check into the hospital. But, so far, all is quiet. I even tried a strawberry pie from Maddox. But, these pies just aren't helping people!
Here's to hoping I don't make it through the weekend without birthing my super-sized baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You know, I really believe that your mind set affects your birth experience. You are so ready to have a positive labor be it seven pounds or ten!
Maybe you should try a laxative pie next--I hear it's all the rage.
Mmmmm . . . like the castor oil cocktails I've been guzzling?
Post a Comment